Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike

Default Garage door doesn't close 1st time

Background:
I had a spring break on my double garage door a few months ago, and
had a contractor replace both springs.

Now some months later, when shutting to door (/w the garage door
opener). it stops (about 2/3s down), and goes back up (seems to think
that there's an obstruction). To get the door to shut cleanly I have
to assist (pull) in it's downward travel (apply additional load to the
door, to counteract the springs).

My guess it that the "new" springs have been set incorrectly. If I try
to shut to door sans garage door opener, it takes some effort to pull
the door shut - particularly in the last 1/3 of it's travel.

Is my assumption correct - should I call in the original contractor to
adjust the springs. By the way I have tried to adjust the garage door
opener (set screws) but to no avail. Garage door opener is a Sears
brand /w rubber drive belt.

Prior to the broken spring there was never a problem closing the
garage door /w the opener.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby

Mike wrote:
[...]

Get the contractor to do the job right. Don't adjust the opener until
after the door and springs are in balance. Then adjust the threshold on
the opener.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff

If your door is adjusted correctly you should be able to easily move it with
one hand, make sure all the nuts on the hinges, etc are tight, and none of
the rollers are binding. Sounds like the springs were not set correctly.

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Check the electric eyes. If they are just a bit off a little vibration can
cause them to deliver an obstruction signal. I had that happen not long
ago. The brackets were slightly bent.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

You should be able to switch to manual (usually pulling a cord) and see
if the door will smoothly open and close and say open closed and at the half
way mark. If not you need the springs adjusted and this should be done by
the original contractor for free. It should be part of the installation.
Messing with those springs can be seriously dangerous.

If the door does work properly in manual mode, then it is the opener and
or it's adjustments.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich

Hello Mike,

With the door raised measure one of the springs (no loops) while the spring
is completely relaxed. Measure the height of the door in inches. Divide
that number by two. Add that number to the length of collapsed spring.
Completely close your door, measure the length of the stretched out spring.
That measurement should not exceed the total of the relaxed spring + half
the door height.
For example:
If you have a 7' high door, half it's height would be 42"
Typically a 7' high door would have a 25" spring.
42" + 25" spring = 67"
So when the door is completely shut the spring should not extend more than
67". If it is extended further then you are overstretching that spring,
adjust the tension until you have the proper stretch. If the door is still
a bear to lower after the stretch has been adjusted. Then your springs are
too strong for the door. Either get the fella who installed those springs
to install the proper springs (which I doubt he will do, he will probably
try to weasel his way out of it by saying that the warranty is expired.).
Or you can raise the door, completely remove the tension and with the help
of a friend lower the door onto a bathroom scale and get the correct weight.
Then go buy the right springs base on the correct weight of the door.

Rich
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
g.a.miller

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 08:29:24 -0800, Mike
wrote:

[...]

Please contact me at I will be able to help
you when you supply me with more info Anthony at Anthony's Door
Systems

at
http://www.TitanNews.com