Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby

Default Garage door doesn't close 1st time

Mike wrote:
Background:
I had a spring break on my double garage door a few months ago, and
had a contractor replace both springs.

Now some months later, when shutting to door (/w the garage door
opener). it stops (about 2/3s down), and goes back up (seems to think
that there's an obstruction). To get the door to shut cleanly I have
to assist (pull) in it's downward travel (apply additional load to the
door, to counteract the springs).

My guess it that the "new" springs have been set incorrectly. If I try
to shut to door sans garage door opener, it takes some effort to pull
the door shut - particularly in the last 1/3 of it's travel.

Is my assumption correct - should I call in the original contractor to
adjust the springs. By the way I have tried to adjust the garage door
opener (set screws) but to no avail. Garage door opener is a Sears
brand /w rubber drive belt.

Prior to the broken spring there was never a problem closing the
garage door /w the opener.

Get the contractor to do the job right. Don't adjust the opener until
after the door and springs are in balance. Then adjust the threshold on
the opener.