miey

Default Exterior entry door material ????????????????

Hi,
Saw an article in "Fine Woodworking" the other month on making an
entry door using a "sandwich method" The author used PT pine but I
would like to use a wood I can stain or leave natural. What would be a
good species to use, with the sandwich method?
tia,
Mike
Tom Watson

Put a veneer of whatever you want onto the face of it.

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 21:54:41 GMT, miey wrote:

Hi,
Saw an article in "Fine Woodworking" the other month on making an
entry door using a "sandwich method" The author used PT pine but I
would like to use a wood I can stain or leave natural. What would be a
good species to use, with the sandwich method?
tia,
Mike

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)
Jim

I'd buy a door & laminate it, like Tom said. There's nothing I find
more irratating than a warped or poor fitting door & a good one is
difficult to make. Actually, I'd probably buy a door with a fake
woodgrain that isn't made out of wood at all & stain that - they used
to make them. I guess they still do.

Lowell Holmes

"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'd buy a door & laminate it, like Tom said. There's nothing I find
more irratating than a warped or poor fitting door & a good one is
difficult to make. Actually, I'd probably buy a door with a fake
woodgrain that isn't made out of wood at all & stain that - they used
to make them. I guess they still do.

I've rebuilt a couple exterior doors that were rotted. It is common for
commercially built doors to be made with the stiles and rails individually
being glued up and a nice 1/8" thick veneer applied. You cannot tell they
are not solid wood by appearance. By gluing up a core from smaller wood
blocks, you can minimize bow and warp.

Solid wood 2x6 wood that is 84" long without warp or bow in it is difficult
to find. One thing for sure, be prepared to plane out the bow and warp
before making the door and then pray it stays. Wood that is over-sized in
thickness will be necessary for this approach.

Straight grain fir is a good door material. I've thought about making a
door out of clear cypress, but I'm not sure it would be a good material
selection.

Teamcasa

Snip
Straight grain fir is a good door material. I've thought about making a
door out of clear cypress, but I'm not sure it would be a good material
selection.

Agreed, fir is a common door material as is different verities of oaks. I
do like cypress and plan on using it for the next door I build. Hint. Have
a large flat table for clamping and assembly. I used polyurethane glue, the
longer open time made a big difference.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com