Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cans of solvent -- pouring, etc

I never noticed how difficult it is to pour from a full gallon can of
solvent without having it run down the can and make a mess. I'm also
not too thrilled to think about the flammible nature of this stuff
(mineral spirits) when I'm working in my basement. Is there a trick to
pouring this stuff and how do most people deal with the fire safety
issue? Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Smith

In article .com,
wrote:
I never noticed how difficult it is to pour from a full gallon can of
solvent without having it run down the can and make a mess. I'm also
not too thrilled to think about the flammible nature of this stuff
(mineral spirits) when I'm working in my basement. Is there a trick to
pouring this stuff and how do most people deal with the fire safety
issue? Thanks.

In chem lab, we were taught to take a glass rod, hold it up against
the edge of the beaker, and pour. The liquid follows the glass rod
instead of clinging to the side of the beaker. It's all due to the
magic of surface tension.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny

In chem lab, we were taught to take a glass rod, hold it up against
the edge of the beaker, and pour.

Yep ,almost any kind of rod works. As for as mineral spirits, get it
at Wal-Mart in the plastic containers. No spills from the plastic
container.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
In chem lab, we were taught to take a glass rod, hold it up against
the edge of the beaker, and pour.

Yep ,almost any kind of rod works. As for as mineral spirits, get it
at Wal-Mart in the plastic containers. No spills from the plastic
container.

That goes to the other half of my question -- I've had plastic
containers spring mysterious leaks. For fire safety is a metal cabinet
the preferred storage location?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com,
wrote:
I never noticed how difficult it is to pour from a full gallon can of
solvent without having it run down the can and make a mess. I'm also
not too thrilled to think about the flammible nature of this stuff
(mineral spirits) when I'm working in my basement. Is there a trick to
pouring this stuff and how do most people deal with the fire safety
issue? Thanks.

When the can is more than about 1/3 full I get better control by
holding it with the spout at the top like so:

_________________
_| |
_| |
| |
| |

And for those jobs requiring very precise pouring, I have this little
device called a funnel.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

oil cans?? fred Metalworking 12 March 5th 06 05:39 PM
Solvent Weld Joint Re-use Mark Trueman UK diy 16 May 17th 05 02:56 PM
parts washer solvent? Grant Erwin Metalworking 21 January 15th 05 06:58 PM
Solvent or Push Fit Derek Doormer UK diy 7 December 19th 04 05:06 PM