Mark Trueman

Default Solvent Weld Joint Re-use

Hi,

I use marley 22mm solvent weld waste pipe extensively on my marine fish
tank for plumbing in pumps and suchlike.

I would like to do a rearrangement of said pipework but would like to
try to re-use the fittings that i have.

So is there any way to remove the solvent weld from the fittings and
pipes in order to re-use them? Just pulling them apart and adding more
solvent weld doesnt seem to provide a particularly strong joint.

Regards

Mark

Dave Liquorice

On 16 May 2005 05:50:44 -0700, Mark Trueman wrote:

So is there any way to remove the solvent weld from the fittings and
pipes in order to re-use them? Just pulling them apart and adding
more solvent weld doesnt seem to provide a particularly strong
joint.

Hum, I don't think they can hve been done properly in the first place
if you can pull 'em part. A properly made solvent weld joint becomes
one bit of plastic once the solvent has evaporated. Be aware that
diffrent makes of solvent weld are not all the same size. You need to
use only one brand of pipe and fittings not mix 'match.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

The Wanderer

On Mon, 16 May 2005 14:20:26 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

On 16 May 2005 05:50:44 -0700, Mark Trueman wrote:

So is there any way to remove the solvent weld from the fittings and
pipes in order to re-use them? Just pulling them apart and adding
more solvent weld doesnt seem to provide a particularly strong
joint.

Hum, I don't think they can hve been done properly in the first place
if you can pull 'em part. A properly made solvent weld joint becomes
one bit of plastic once the solvent has evaporated. Be aware that
diffrent makes of solvent weld are not all the same size. You need to
use only one brand of pipe and fittings not mix 'match.

Yeah, wot 'e said. I'd guess you used incompatible pipe and fittings, a not
uncommon mistake - done it myself when I first started using solvent weld
fittings.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
OldBill

Mark Trueman wrote:
Hi,

I use marley 22mm solvent weld waste pipe extensively on my marine fish
tank for plumbing in pumps and suchlike.

I would like to do a rearrangement of said pipework but would like to
try to re-use the fittings that i have.

So is there any way to remove the solvent weld from the fittings and
pipes in order to re-use them? Just pulling them apart and adding more
solvent weld doesnt seem to provide a particularly strong joint.

Regards

Mark

Re-using solvent weld is not really on.
If you can get it apart, then it wasn't done right in the first place.
Anyway, why? the bits are so cheap surely its hardly worth the hassle
Mark Trueman

i think i may have learned a lesson here. Dont use b+q fittings and
wickes tubing. It does appear that they are not compatible. (as wickes
pipe is marked up at 21.5mm and b+q is marked as 22mm or vice versa)

Unfortunately i need the 45 degree bends, which they dont stock in the
wickes range (which i prefer over the b+q ones which are quite fiddly).
However, the B+Q by me very rarely have any stock of 22mm fittings,
hence the reason i had to mix and match

Anyone know of a cheap online supplier? The usual suspects dont seem to
stock them.

And as for it being cheap, well theres probably about 150 quids worth
of fittings and pipework on my tank, so i was hoping to re-use as much
as possible. Oh well, looks like more expense on this already expensive
hobby!!

Thanks for the input guys

Mark

mrcheerful

"Mark Trueman" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

well, the only way to reuse the more expensive elbows is to leave them with
a bit of pipe in each direction and use straight couplers.

if you are using overflow pipe then you can buy it very cheap from
toolstation.com free delivery still iirc

mrcheerful

Mark Trueman

That is exceedingly cheap, thanks. Thats about a third of the shed
price.

My fish thank you in advance (before i disturb their lovely home)

Lobster

Mark Trueman wrote:

snip

At the risk of appearing a total numpty, how do you actually do solvent
welds in the first place? I'd quite like to try it, but what do you
need to buy? I notice the likes of Screwfix sell a large range of
components
(http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...2448&id=101249), but no
indication of how to assemble them.

David
Chris Bacon

Lobster wrote:
At the risk of appearing a total numpty, how do you actually do solvent
welds in the first place?

You get the components, and a tin of solvent, or a tube of solvent-
filler for repairing very slightly damaged or odd sized stuff. You
coat the clean pipework with solvent, assemble, and it sets.
Lobster

Chris Bacon wrote:
Lobster wrote:

At the risk of appearing a total numpty, how do you actually do
solvent welds in the first place?

You get the components, and a tin of solvent, or a tube of solvent-
filler for repairing very slightly damaged or odd sized stuff. You
coat the clean pipework with solvent, assemble, and it sets.

I thought it must be something like that, but then couldn't see any such
solvent on Screwfix anywhere, so was wondering if it was maybe
"built-in" to the components somehow! Presumably it's a specific,
for-purpose solvent?

David

John Stumbles

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On 16 May 2005 05:50:44 -0700, Mark Trueman wrote:

So is there any way to remove the solvent weld from the fittings and
pipes in order to re-use them? Just pulling them apart and adding
more solvent weld doesnt seem to provide a particularly strong
joint.

Hum, I don't think they can hve been done properly in the first place
if you can pull 'em part. A properly made solvent weld joint becomes
one bit of plastic once the solvent has evaporated. Be aware that
diffrent makes of solvent weld are not all the same size. You need to
use only one brand of pipe and fittings not mix 'match.

With overflow (nominal 21mm) as with '32mm' (old 1 1/4") and '40mm' (old 1
1/2") waste they come in solvent weld and push-fit varieties. Unlike 32mm
and 40mm the sizes of overflow are close enough that you can often mix the
two e.g. push-fit fittings and solvent weld pipe. If you can pull the
fittings apart after 'solvent welding' them then they and/or the pipe were
probably push-fit as the sort of plastic they use for that (polypropylene?)
doesn't dissolve in the solvent.
raden

In message .com, Mark
Trueman writes
Hi,

I use marley 22mm solvent weld waste pipe extensively on my marine fish
tank for plumbing in pumps and suchlike.

I would like to do a rearrangement of said pipework but would like to
try to re-use the fittings that i have.

So is there any way to remove the solvent weld from the fittings and
pipes in order to re-use them? Just pulling them apart and adding more
solvent weld doesnt seem to provide a particularly strong joint.

Regards

Mark

The solvent normally melts the plastic,, and the only way of getting
them apart is to get dIMM and his hacksaw to hack them apart
--
geoff
The Wanderer

On Mon, 16 May 2005 17:17:58 GMT, Lobster wrote:

Chris Bacon wrote:
Lobster wrote:

At the risk of appearing a total numpty, how do you actually do
solvent welds in the first place?

You get the components, and a tin of solvent, or a tube of solvent-
filler for repairing very slightly damaged or odd sized stuff. You
coat the clean pipework with solvent, assemble, and it sets.

I thought it must be something like that, but then couldn't see any such
solvent on Screwfix anywhere, so was wondering if it was maybe
"built-in" to the components somehow! Presumably it's a specific,
for-purpose solvent?

Err, your best bet would be to go and visit a builders merchant who has
most of his small stock out on the shop floor, rather than behind a trade
counter. Go and have a good browse around the pipe work and fittings.
Alternatively, take yourself into your local Plumb Centre and ask them for
some advice - just make sure you don't go in when they're at their busiest,
it won't be appreciated.....

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
The Wanderer

On 16 May 2005 08:01:11 -0700, Mark Trueman wrote:

snip

And as for it being cheap, well theres probably about 150 quids worth
of fittings and pipework on my tank, so i was hoping to re-use as much
as possible. Oh well, looks like more expense on this already expensive
hobby!!

You can buy a mighty lot of solvent weld pipes and fittings for £150 from a
plumbers merchant! Have you tried your local Plumb Centre?

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Mike

On 16 May 2005 08:01:11 -0700, Mark Trueman wrote:

snip

And as for it being cheap, well theres probably about 150 quids worth
of fittings and pipework on my tank, so i was hoping to re-use as much
as possible. Oh well, looks like more expense on this already expensive
hobby!!

You can always saw off and reuse a lot of the piping. The joints cost
peanuts anyway, especially if you buy them in reasonable bulk rather than
one-off at B&Q.

And when you buy the solvent make sure it's well in-date. Didn't notice my
first tin was out of date (thanks - well known national plumber's merchant)
and wondered why the joints didn't seem to always take well.

Lobster

The Wanderer wrote:
Alternatively, take yourself into your local Plumb Centre and ask them for
some advice

Yeah, right!! :-)

David
The Wanderer

On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:24:37 GMT, Lobster wrote:

The Wanderer wrote:
Alternatively, take yourself into your local Plumb Centre and ask them for
some advice

Yeah, right!! :-)

Alright, I know people knock 'em, but I found my local Plumb Centre quite
helpful when I was doing some work.

I have a stand pipe comes up on my back fence line, guess it was originally
installed when the place was being built. When I renewed the fence, I
wanted to bring the pipe straight up and through the fence on an elbow,
with a bibcock surface-mounted onto one of the fence pales. I'd trawled
through the various on-line suppliers looking at various fittings and had
come up with something of a hotch-potch of bits to do it. When I went in
and told them what I wanted to do, they immediately produced a ready-made
surface mounted outlet with a brazed back pipe. Ideal for the job.
Certainly hadn't been able to track that down looking at on-line sites.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net