Derek Doormer

Default Solvent or Push Fit

Hi,
Just about to plumb some waste pipe got all solvent joints and solvent but
when I went to go and get the pipe I found have two types of pipe one for
push fit and one solvent, however the solvent one seems alot more expensive
that the other. However in a few stores Wilkinson's etc they have pipe that
doesn't state if its push fit or solvent but is only a few pounds. Does the
pipe I use have to be specific for solvent joints or can I use any.
Thanks
DD

Lurch

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:48:40 -0000, "Derek Doormer"
strung together this:

Does the
pipe I use have to be specific for solvent joints or can I use any.

The pipe sizes for waste vary slightly from manufacturer to
manufacturer as well as between SW and push fit so I would use the
same make as the fittings.
There are some manufacturers that have compatible pipe sizes but from
memory I can't remember who's.
--

SJW
Ed Sirett

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 18:20:59 +0000, Lurch wrote:

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:48:40 -0000, "Derek Doormer"
strung together this:

Does the
pipe I use have to be specific for solvent joints or can I use any.

The pipe sizes for waste vary slightly from manufacturer to
manufacturer as well as between SW and push fit so I would use the
same make as the fittings.
There are some manufacturers that have compatible pipe sizes but from
memory I can't remember who's.

Generally the SW pipe manufactured to BS 5455 (IIRC) is interchangeable
but thee are slight variations between manuafacturers.

The push fit pipe is somewhat smaller (by a mm or two) and may also be
made from a plastic that won't SW.

HTH

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Andy Hall

wrote:

Hi,
Just about to plumb some waste pipe got all solvent joints and solvent but
when I went to go and get the pipe I found have two types of pipe one for
push fit and one solvent, however the solvent one seems alot more expensive
that the other. However in a few stores Wilkinson's etc they have pipe that
doesn't state if its push fit or solvent but is only a few pounds. Does the
pipe I use have to be specific for solvent joints or can I use any.
Thanks
DD

It does have to be PVC or ABS. Push fit waste is sometimes
polypropylene and apart from being the wrong size, will not weld (at
least with the typical solvent used for the purpose).

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Derek Doormer

Oh I ordered the SW joints from screwfix but wasn't looking at ordering the
pipe from them as they only do big packs and I only need a few. Anyone know
If the joints from screwfix are suitable for use with the pipe sold in
Wickes.
Thanks
DD
"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:48:40 -0000, "Derek Doormer"
strung together this:

Does the
pipe I use have to be specific for solvent joints or can I use any.

The pipe sizes for waste vary slightly from manufacturer to
manufacturer as well as between SW and push fit so I would use the
same make as the fittings.
There are some manufacturers that have compatible pipe sizes but from
memory I can't remember who's.
--

SJW

Andrew Gabriel

wrote:

Hi,
Just about to plumb some waste pipe got all solvent joints and solvent but
when I went to go and get the pipe I found have two types of pipe one for
push fit and one solvent, however the solvent one seems alot more expensive
that the other. However in a few stores Wilkinson's etc they have pipe that
doesn't state if its push fit or solvent but is only a few pounds. Does the
pipe I use have to be specific for solvent joints or can I use any.
Thanks
DD

It does have to be PVC or ABS.

Given the choice, PVC works slightly better than ABS.
Sheds mostly stock ABS (I presume it's cheaper).
A plumbers merchant will have PVC (might be marked
uPVC, or muPVC which is higher quality).

Push fit waste is sometimes
polypropylene and apart from being the wrong size, will not weld (at
least with the typical solvent used for the purpose).

--
Andrew Gabriel
John Miller

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:48:40 -0000, "Derek Doormer"
strung together this:

Does the
pipe I use have to be specific for solvent joints or can I use any.

The pipe sizes for waste vary slightly from manufacturer to
manufacturer as well as between SW and push fit so I would use the
same make as the fittings.
There are some manufacturers that have compatible pipe sizes but from
memory I can't remember who's.
--

SJW

Derek

Just finished a bathroom project at my daughter's and used Screwfix joints
with Wickes solvent weld pipe. Joints a tight fit dry but worked fine when
put together with the solvent.

John Miller

Ian Stirling

Andy Hall wrote:
snip
It does have to be PVC or ABS. Push fit waste is sometimes
polypropylene and apart from being the wrong size, will not weld (at
least with the typical solvent used for the purpose).

I've had good results welding PP with a hot-air gun.

Admittedly this is useless for welding pipe in place, but it let me
make up a nice low-profile washing-machine drain and U trap to go in
a confined space up from bits.

You need to play for a while.