Posted to rec.woodworking
Seeker

Default Powermatic Model 2000 tablesaw?

Thinking about getting one of the new style Powermatic Model 2000 table
saws, I would like any feedback that you guys may have. Seems like
Powermatic took a close look at the Laguna table saws and used some of
their ideas such as dust collection at the blade, a riving knife that
raises and lowers with the blade,larger throat plate and a single flat
poly drive belt and built in mobility wheels,
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Seeker" wrote in message
Thinking about getting one of the new style Powermatic Model 2000 table
saws, I would like any feedback that you guys may have. Seems like
Powermatic took a close look at the Laguna table saws and used some of
their ideas such as dust collection at the blade, a riving knife that
raises and lowers with the blade,larger throat plate and a single flat
poly drive belt and built in mobility wheels,

IIRC the PM 66 had the dust collection at the blade and certainly had "2"
wide drive belts on the 66. My local dealer had a 2000 saw and gave me a
quick demonstration of its features. The riving knife and blade guard come
off and go back on quickly and with out tools. I was impressed by the built
in mobility. The 2000 is also quite heavy compared to its competition. If
I were replacing my cabinet saw it would be a toss up between the SawStop,
PM 2000 and the Laguna. IMHO the Laguna has many nice features not found on
other saws.

Posted to rec.woodworking
No-One

Fine Woodworking Magazine just recently did a review & the model 2000
scored at the top.

FYI - JJS

Seeker wrote:
Thinking about getting one of the new style Powermatic Model 2000
table saws, I would like any feedback that you guys may have. Seems like
Powermatic took a close look at the Laguna table saws and used some of
their ideas such as dust collection at the blade, a riving knife that
raises and lowers with the blade,larger throat plate and a single flat
poly drive belt and built in mobility wheels,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Seeker" wrote in message
Thinking about getting one of the new style Powermatic Model 2000 table
saws, I would like any feedback that you guys may have. Seems like
Powermatic took a close look at the Laguna table saws and used some of
their ideas such as dust collection at the blade, a riving knife that
raises and lowers with the blade,larger throat plate and a single flat
poly drive belt and built in mobility wheels,

Looks like a real nice machine. If was needed a new saw, I'd look at it
real hard.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...
I were replacing my cabinet saw it would be a toss up between the SawStop,
PM 2000 and the Laguna. IMHO the Laguna has many nice features not found

on
other saws.

I think the Laguna is in a different league and price range - sitting there
with commercial grade rigs that are meaningful for a commercial cabinet
shop, especially after you invest in the sliding table and the shop real
estate in which to fit it. I don't get the gaga over the built in wheels on
the PM 2000. They only support the saw itself and take forever to raise and
lower. What about a long extension table? I think the rig on your table saw
is much more useful.

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Bob" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...
I were replacing my cabinet saw it would be a toss up between the
SawStop,
PM 2000 and the Laguna. IMHO the Laguna has many nice features not found

on
other saws.

I think the Laguna is in a different league and price range - sitting
there
with commercial grade rigs that are meaningful for a commercial cabinet
shop, especially after you invest in the sliding table and the shop real
estate in which to fit it.

Certainly more IIRC $2900 range.

I don't get the gaga over the built in wheels on
the PM 2000. They only support the saw itself and take forever to raise
and
lower. What about a long extension table?

On the one I saw the wheels were lowered and the extension table was lifted
and moved sorta like a wheel barrow.

I think the rig on your table saw
is much more useful.

Bob

I prefer mine also.

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Thinking about getting one of the new style Powermatic Model 2000 table
saws, I would like any feedback that you guys may have. Seems like
Powermatic took a close look at the Laguna table saws and used some of
their ideas such as dust collection at the blade, a riving knife that
raises and lowers with the blade,larger throat plate and a single flat
poly drive belt and built in mobility wheels,

I just bought the current June issue of FWW (sharpening article on the cover).
The PM2000 and the new SawStop 31230 both made "best over all". This
article compares 13 current models. I didn't read it all because I'm not buying
one, living in an apartment.

--
Alex - who is learning woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Slowhand

Seeker wrote:
Thinking about getting one of the new style Powermatic Model 2000
table saws, I would like any feedback that you guys may have. Seems like
Powermatic took a close look at the Laguna table saws and used some of
their ideas such as dust collection at the blade, a riving knife that
raises and lowers with the blade,larger throat plate and a single flat
poly drive belt and built in mobility wheels,

Why? when you can buy a perfectly good vintage delta table saw for a
third of the price. Not to mention the value of the art deco off/on switch.
SH - The "shaking his head, old iron" woodworker.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Seeker

Just ordered the PM2000 from Amazon.com with 10% off plus free shipping
for a total cost of 1979.00 and the 6 wk lead time will be OK. The
Laguna was $2900.00 to the house. Will use the extra savings to pipe in
the new Grizzly 2HP cyclone D/C. Now If I could just get my new shop
finished in time.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss

Slowhand wrote:
: Seeker wrote:
: Thinking about getting one of the new style Powermatic Model 2000
: table saws, I would like any feedback that you guys may have. Seems like
: Powermatic took a close look at the Laguna table saws and used some of
: their ideas such as dust collection at the blade, a riving knife that
: raises and lowers with the blade,larger throat plate and a single flat
: poly drive belt and built in mobility wheels,

: Why? when you can buy a perfectly good vintage delta table saw for a
: third of the price. Not to mention the value of the art deco off/on switch.

And besacktly where are such saws offered for such?

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking
Seeker

Slowhand wrote:
Seeker wrote:
Thinking about getting one of the new style Powermatic Model 2000
table saws, I would like any feedback that you guys may have. Seems
like Powermatic took a close look at the Laguna table saws and used
some of their ideas such as dust collection at the blade, a riving
knife that raises and lowers with the blade,larger throat plate and a
single flat poly drive belt and built in mobility wheels,

Why? when you can buy a perfectly good vintage delta table saw for a
third of the price. Not to mention the value of the art deco off/on
switch.
SH - The "shaking his head, old iron" woodworker.

Where we live on the Gulf Coast in Mississippi including Al, LA, Vintage
anything is a rare find and i mean rare. Fine woodworking machinery is
almost unheard of here, fishing boats and guns on the other hand are
plentiful.
Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Just ordered the PM2000 from Amazon.com with 10% off plus free shipping
for a total cost of 1979.00 and the 6 wk lead time will be OK. The
Laguna was $2900.00 to the house. Will use the extra savings to pipe in
the new Grizzly 2HP cyclone D/C. Now If I could just get my new shop
finished in time.

Shock and surprize!!! Congrats!!!!

Alex
Posted to rec.woodworking
Petrified Woodworker

This is so true . . . people that do not live here can not imagine how
narrow the interest are here . . . . I'll bet no where else in the country
do they have drive thru daiquiri shops . . . beer is served at ALL public
functions . . . graduations, craft shows, parades, company picnics . . .etc
.. .

When you "axe" your co-workers about there up-coming weekend plans it always
includes getting "drunk" . . .

*Going fishing and getting drunk.
*Going hunting and getting drunk.
*Going to the game, tailgating and getting drunk.
*Going play golf and getting drunk.
Some are not so active . . . and they just start getting drunk early on
Friday and sober up enough to do the Sunday afternoon bar-b-q and get drunk
again. (My next door neighbor)

As to quality considerations involved in purchases for anything other than
boats or guns . . . "GOODA - ENUF" is the best description . . .

Steve in Louisiana . . . .

"Seeker" wrote in message
Slowhand wrote:
Seeker wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Slowhand

Andrew Barss wrote:
Slowhand wrote:
: Seeker wrote:
: Thinking about getting one of the new style Powermatic Model 2000
: table saws, I would like any feedback that you guys may have. Seems like
: Powermatic took a close look at the Laguna table saws and used some of
: their ideas such as dust collection at the blade, a riving knife that
: raises and lowers with the blade,larger throat plate and a single flat
: poly drive belt and built in mobility wheels,

: Why? when you can buy a perfectly good vintage delta table saw for a
: third of the price. Not to mention the value of the art deco off/on switch.

And besacktly where are such saws offered for such?

-- Andy Barss

Do a websearch!
I found 4 in about as many minutes.
There's one in Boston as I type this for $350

You gotta search. They can be found.
SH

Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

On Sat, 27 May 2006 12:52:14 -0700, Slowhand wrote:

Do a websearch!
I found 4 in about as many minutes.
There's one in Boston as I type this for $350

You gotta search. They can be found.
SH

They *can*- but I never was able to get one from a web search or the
paper. The only decent secondhand stuff I've been able to get in on
was from networking- when someone I know is upgrading, or when I spot
the corner of something potentially spiffy poking out from under a
tarp in the back of a warehouse or garage. Sometimes it pays to ask,
a lot of big tools are just sitting idle because nobody wants to go to
the trouble of moving them.

Once good stuff hits the wider world, it seems there's always somebody
waiting to pounce on it- and they're usually quicker to get it than I
am.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob

"Slowhand" wrote in message

Why? when you can buy a perfectly good vintage delta table saw for a
third of the price. Not to mention the value of the art deco off/on

switch.
SH - The "shaking his head, old iron" woodworker.

Are the vintage delta saws really the equivalent? I thought they had
considerably less horsepower. they certainly didn't have dust collection
and riving knives.

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Bob" wrote in message

I thought they had
considerably less horsepower.

Yabbut that was the days before corporations used "My Little Pony" as a
standard.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
Slowhand

Bob wrote:
"Slowhand" wrote in message

Why? when you can buy a perfectly good vintage delta table saw for a
third of the price. Not to mention the value of the art deco off/on

switch.

SH - The "shaking his head, old iron" woodworker.

Are the vintage delta saws really the equivalent? I thought they had
considerably less horsepower. they certainly didn't have dust collection
and riving knives.

Bob

Vintage delta had real horsepower.
Let me put it this way, I've used new delta and old delta. New
powermatic and old powermatic. The old holds it's own just fine. But
hey, don't just take my word for it. Find an old saw to run.
SH
Posted to rec.woodworking
Renowood

Seeker wrote:
Thinking about getting one of the new style Powermatic Model 2000 table
saws, I would like any feedback that you guys may have. Seems like
Powermatic took a close look at the Laguna table saws and used some of
their ideas such as dust collection at the blade, a riving knife that
raises and lowers with the blade,larger throat plate and a single flat
poly drive belt and built in mobility wheels,

Is the PM 2000 Chiwanese? What motor?

PM 66 still USA?

RW

Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

Seeker wrote:

Thinking about getting one of the new style Powermatic Model 2000 table
saws, I would like any feedback that you guys may have. Seems like
Powermatic took a close look at the Laguna table saws and used some of
their ideas such as dust collection at the blade, a riving knife that
raises and lowers with the blade,larger throat plate and a single flat
poly drive belt and built in mobility wheels,

Until you mentioned the larger throat plate and wheels, it sounded
like they were taking a close look at the Ryobi BT3100 and using a lot
of their ideas! g,d,&r)
Posted to rec.woodworking
None

On 31 May 2006 10:13:38 -0700, "Renowood" wrote:

Seeker wrote:
Thinking about getting one of the new style Powermatic Model 2000 table
saws, I would like any feedback that you guys may have. Seems like
Powermatic took a close look at the Laguna table saws and used some of
their ideas such as dust collection at the blade, a riving knife that
raises and lowers with the blade,larger throat plate and a single flat
poly drive belt and built in mobility wheels,

Is the PM 2000 Chiwanese? What motor?

PM 66 still USA?

RW

PM 2000 is Chiwanese. My local Powermatic Dealer won't stock the unit.
They are not impressed with the quality. They do carry the 66 72 and
other older design powermatic units. They will order it if requested(I
don't know if they have sold any that way)They also have the new
Sawstop(which they are impressed with). I believe the last time I was
there they said they have already sold abount 3 dozen Sawstops.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 09:00:21 -0400, None wrote:

PM 2000 is Chiwanese. My local Powermatic Dealer won't stock the unit.
They are not impressed with the quality. They do carry the 66 72 and
other older design powermatic units. They will order it if requested(I
don't know if they have sold any that way)They also have the new
Sawstop(which they are impressed with). I believe the last time I was
there they said they have already sold abount 3 dozen Sawstops.

Would you mind telling us exactly how long you have been working for
Sawstop?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Andy wrote:
On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 09:00:21 -0400, None wrote:

They also have the new
Sawstop(which they are impressed with). I believe the last time I was
there they said they have already sold abount 3 dozen Sawstops.

Would you mind telling us exactly how long you have been working for
Sawstop?

What, nobody's allowed to like the Sawstop without being paid?

I've played with it in person (not cut anything though). It looks like
a good saw, and feels solid. Saw a demo of the safety feature at a wood
show.

I don't like their politics, and I think it's overpriced. But the saw
itself seems just fine.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
None

I haven't been following rec.woodworking for awhile so I guess I
forgot how I'm not supposed to like Sawstop. No I don't work for
Sawstop(Or any other mfg for that matter. When they tried to force
their "invention" on the rest of the companies I got pretty irate at
them myself.

I was on a holiday trip visiting relatives when I decided to stop by
a local industrial machine outfit to see if the new Powermatic 2000
was in. I've used PM 66 and 72(I own a General myself) but I have also
used a large Tannewitz which had a sliding table and a riving knife
and really grew to like it(the riving knife, actually the sliding
table also). However my next upgrade will probably be something with a
larger blade which neither the PM 2000 or Sawstop have. I was
interested in at least seeing the PM2000 because it is new and because
of the riving knife and I had nothing better to do during the day.
When I got to this dealer he was just unpacking a PM 2000 which was
the first one they had received. It turns out they also had a Sawstop
set up but when he first mentioned it to me I told him I wasn't
interested in it.

I spent some time there looking at the PM2000 and some older used
equipment they had available and the discussion got back to the
Sawstop. They told me they liked the saw and I asked if they had any
misfires. They told me one of the first saw they had had a problem
turning on(something to do with the safety check) but Sawstop sent
someone out and retrofitted a part and it's been ok since then. I
don't really remember how many they said they had sold but I think it
was less then 15. I took a closer look and worked a few controls. Nice
large table area for a 10 inch saw and pretty smooth working controls.

About a month later I was having a general discussion with someone
very knowledgeable about heavy duty industrial woodworking machinery
and they mentioned they had used a Sawstop. He explained to me that
the Trunion assembly was very similar to the heavy duty industrial
stuff probably because of the way they had to get the safety gear to
drop the blade. He felt even without the "safety" aspect the saw was
very well made ands he was very impressed with a lot of small things
they did in building the saw.

Like I have already said my next saw will be something with a larger
blade but like anyone once my interest was raised I did a little
looking and it sounds like they built a very nice saw.

This gets me to the visit to my local dealer and the comments they
made when I kidded them about having a new Sawstop on display but no
new PM 2000. I been dealing with them for awhile and have faith in
their judgment. They showed me a few things I wasn't aware of and
although I like and own other Powermatic products the Sawstop appears
to be a machine in a class above the PM2000 even ignoring the so
called safety features. Worth a look to anyone in the market for a saw
of this level of performance along with PM, General and Delta. Nice to
see someone come up with a solid new design. Sure surprised me.

Powermatic 2000 TS Leon Woodworking 2 February 4th 06 01:30 AM
REQ JDR Instruments Model 2000 Oscilloscope Service Manual Mee Electronics Repair 0 November 6th 05 09:27 AM
Parts for Powermatic Model 90 Wood Lathe [email protected] Metalworking 4 October 12th 05 08:32 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Pay As You Model: A new service from Gepsoft Gepsoft Team Electronics 0 April 13th 04 01:16 PM