Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What is the use of this wooden hand plane?

Hi,

I picked up a couple of wooden hand planes over the wknd. I can figure
out what most of them were use for except this one.

It has a built in fence so the plane runs along one end of a piece of
wood. It cuts a 1/4" rabbit. The next 1/4" is left untouched followed
by a 1/2" dado. Both the dado and rabbit are about 1/2" deep.

So when I tested the plane out it cut a 1/4" rabbet and a 1/2 dado
spaced 1/4" apart.

Any idea what the plane was used for?

Thanks

Alex

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hmm could be I'll check but I'm thrown off by the fact it makes two
different groove sizes, a 1/4" and a 1/2". If it was a tongue plane
would it not make a 2 1/4" grooves?

Alex

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hmm could be I'll check but I'm thrown off by the fact it makes two
different groove sizes, a 1/4" and a 1/2". If it was a tongue plane
would it not make a 2 1/4" grooves?

It would, on 3/4 stock.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Australopithecus scobis

On Tue, 23 May 2006 07:01:52 -0700, alex.colic opined:

different groove sizes, a 1/4" and a 1/2". If it was a tongue plane
would it not make a 2 1/4" grooves?

You'd use it on stock less than 1" thick. You'd let one edge of one blade
hang over the stock. That way, exact stock thickness doesn't matter to the
tongue-cutting process. It would matter on the floor later, of course.

--
"Keep your ass behind you"
wreck20051219 at spambob.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi,

you were all correct. It is a tongue plane.

Not sure what I am going to do with it since I don't have he 'groove'
portion of the pair.

Alex