DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What is the use of this wooden hand plane? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/162977-what-use-wooden-hand-plane.html)

[email protected] May 23rd 06 02:06 PM

What is the use of this wooden hand plane?

Hi,

I picked up a couple of wooden hand planes over the wknd. I can figure
out what most of them were use for except this one.

It has a built in fence so the plane runs along one end of a piece of
wood. It cuts a 1/4" rabbit. The next 1/4" is left untouched followed
by a 1/2" dado. Both the dado and rabbit are about 1/2" deep.

So when I tested the plane out it cut a 1/4" rabbet and a 1/2 dado
spaced 1/4" apart.

Any idea what the plane was used for?

Thanks

Alex

Wolfgang Jordan May 23rd 06 02:24 PM

wrote:

It has a built in fence so the plane runs along one end of a piece of
wood. It cuts a 1/4" rabbit. The next 1/4" is left untouched followed
by a 1/2" dado. Both the dado and rabbit are about 1/2" deep.

So when I tested the plane out it cut a 1/4" rabbet and a 1/2 dado
spaced 1/4" apart.

Any idea what the plane was used for?

Hi Alex,

sounds like a tongue plane, like in 'tongue and groove'. Here's an
example from a German collector's site:

http://www.altes-handwerkzeug.de/mus...ut/1533u5.html

Wolfgang
--
"Holzbearbeitung mit Handwerkzeugen": http://www.holzwerken.de
Forum Handwerkzeuge:

[email protected] May 23rd 06 03:01 PM

What is the use of this wooden hand plane?

Hmm could be I'll check but I'm thrown off by the fact it makes two
different groove sizes, a 1/4" and a 1/2". If it was a tongue plane
would it not make a 2 1/4" grooves?

Alex

George May 23rd 06 04:21 PM

What is the use of this wooden hand plane?

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hmm could be I'll check but I'm thrown off by the fact it makes two
different groove sizes, a 1/4" and a 1/2". If it was a tongue plane
would it not make a 2 1/4" grooves?

It would, on 3/4 stock.

Australopithecus scobis May 23rd 06 08:04 PM

What is the use of this wooden hand plane?

On Tue, 23 May 2006 07:01:52 -0700, alex.colic opined:

different groove sizes, a 1/4" and a 1/2". If it was a tongue plane
would it not make a 2 1/4" grooves?

You'd use it on stock less than 1" thick. You'd let one edge of one blade
hang over the stock. That way, exact stock thickness doesn't matter to the
tongue-cutting process. It would matter on the floor later, of course.

--
"Keep your ass behind you"
wreck20051219 at spambob.net

[email protected] May 25th 06 01:53 PM

What is the use of this wooden hand plane?

Hi,

you were all correct. It is a tongue plane.

Not sure what I am going to do with it since I don't have he 'groove'
portion of the pair.

Alex