Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Problem Finishing floors

I just put down nearly 4000 feet of hardwood floors, sanded them to 80
grit and polished them with a 100 grit screen. I then put down Bon
Kemi's Bonaseal to seal it. The floors are dry, and as expected, the
water based product raised the grain. I tried to buff the sealer off
with a 120 grit screen on a rotary polisher. It bucks and then throws
the pad and screen out from under the machine. The floor is dry (24
hrs). The thing is grabbing the raised grain.

What do I do to correct the situation and get on with putting the Bon
Kemi Mega down?

Len

Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

I would get a different type of machine. Try the standard: Large Belt
or Drum sander w/ fine sandpaper belt. Most pros use those types of
machines for a reason--they're so much quicker and easier.

If you can get a good quality orbital type, then that'll do for
finishing, but it is slower. Sounds like you might be using a machine
designed for polishing (?), which sounds unlikely to me to function
effectively as a sander.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
I just put down nearly 4000 feet of hardwood floors, sanded them to 80
grit and polished them with a 100 grit screen. I then put down Bon
Kemi's Bonaseal to seal it. The floors are dry, and as expected, the
water based product raised the grain. I tried to buff the sealer off
with a 120 grit screen on a rotary polisher. It bucks and then throws
the pad and screen out from under the machine. The floor is dry (24
hrs). The thing is grabbing the raised grain.

What do I do to correct the situation and get on with putting the Bon
Kemi Mega down?

Len

Try to buff the sealer coat with a maroon pad with delta strips (adhesive
150 grit sandpaper a couple of inches wide that sticks to the maroon pad).
The delta strips should be available in a roll from the same place that you
got the Bonaseal from. When I did this the strips loaded up pretty fast but
they were quick to change out and ended up doing an excellent job.