Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

Default On the bright side

Well, at least he's drowning out the other OT crap we've complained
about for so long.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Guess who
wrote:

Well, at least he's drowning out the other OT crap we've complained
about for so long.

ROFL!
Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Default [OT] On the bright side

Dave Balderstone (in
a) said:

| ROFL!

aol

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Guess who wrote:
Well, at least he's drowning out the other OT crap we've complained
about for so long.

Well, I finally got off my ass and downloaded NewsProxy. The documentation
sucks but I think I finally got it figured out (kind of). It works with Outlook
Express although you sure couldn't find anything to suggest how to configure it.

Anyway, I've got it up and running and sure enough, it takes out the trash. It
puts a smile on my face when I click on the newsgroup, see that there are
several hundred messages to be downloaded.... no, wait... 6 messages to be
downloaded. BWAHAHAHA!!!! I guess the others went down the crapper where they
belonged.

Now if somebody wants to help me out with the filter rules, post how to filter
on 1) any message that is crossposted to any other group and 2) any message that
is crossposted to two groups. I'm talking about for ALL newsgroups; not just
rec.woodworking. My tolerance for crossposting is considerably less than what
others will accept, I guess. It's just been my experience that most off topic
crap is crossposted.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Mortimer Schnerd, RN (in )
said:

| Now if somebody wants to help me out with the filter rules, post
| how to filter on 1) any message that is crossposted to any other
| group and 2) any message that is crossposted to two groups. I'm
| talking about for ALL newsgroups; not just rec.woodworking. My
| tolerance for crossposting is considerably less than what others
| will accept, I guess. It's just been my experience that most off
| topic crap is crossposted.

Try Edit -- Filters and read the comments.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Morris Dovey wrote:
Now if somebody wants to help me out with the filter rules, post
how to filter on 1) any message that is crossposted to any other
group and 2) any message that is crossposted to two groups. I'm
talking about for ALL newsgroups; not just rec.woodworking. My
tolerance for crossposting is considerably less than what others
will accept, I guess. It's just been my experience that most off
topic crap is crossposted.

Try Edit -- Filters and read the comments.

Thank you. I already did that but found it brilliantly obscured; no doubt due
to my advanced age and infirmity. Still looking for someone to lead me by the
hand....

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message

Thank you. I already did that but found it brilliantly obscured; no doubt

due
to my advanced age and infirmity. Still looking for someone to lead me by

the
hand....

You're using OE ... If you don't want to go to the trouble to download and
configure News Proxy, simply go to Tools|Message Rules|News|Click on "Where
the subject line contains specific words", and add ALL the offensive words,
one at a time.

Then click on either delete, ignore or "marked as read". Then OK/Apply

When you have VIEW set up to "hide read or ignored messages", you will not
see them at all.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Mortimer Schnerd, RN (in ) said:

| Morris Dovey wrote:
||| Now if somebody wants to help me out with the filter rules, post
||| how to filter on 1) any message that is crossposted to any other
||| group and 2) any message that is crossposted to two groups. I'm
||| talking about for ALL newsgroups; not just rec.woodworking. My
||| tolerance for crossposting is considerably less than what others
||| will accept, I guess. It's just been my experience that most off
||| topic crap is crossposted.
|| Try Edit -- Filters and read the comments.
|
| Thank you. I already did that but found it brilliantly obscured;
| no doubt due to my advanced age and infirmity. Still looking for
| someone to lead me by the hand....

Ok. Then try sending an e-mail to his autoresponder
(filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com) using your real e-mail address. It will
send back /his/ filter file. Select all of the text and copy it to the
clipboard. Then use my original suggestion to call up nfilter.dat,
scroll to the end, and paste his filter file into yours.

It's not really advanced age and infirmity - regular expressions tend
to be as intimidating as they are powerful (but well worth learning
about!).

I prefer to filter a bit less severely than Doug - but that's a purely
personal preference. His file is an excellent starting point for
customization - no surprise.

[Side note: O'Reilly publishes "Mastering Regular Expressions" by Jeff
Friedl that's been helpful to me in using regular expression parsers.
(Standard disclaimer here)]

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:

Now if somebody wants to help me out with the filter rules, post how to filter
on 1) any message that is crossposted to any other group and 2) any message
that
is crossposted to two groups. I'm talking about for ALL newsgroups; not just
rec.woodworking. My tolerance for crossposting is considerably less than what
others will accept, I guess. It's just been my experience that most off topic
crap is crossposted.

Just get yourself a copy of my filters (see my sig for instructions). That's
taken care of.

--
Regards,

Download Nfilter at http://www.milmac.com/np-120.exe

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Doug Miller wrote:
Now if somebody wants to help me out with the filter rules, post how to

filter on 1) any message that is crossposted to any other group and 2) any
message that
is crossposted to two groups. I'm talking about for ALL newsgroups; not just
rec.woodworking. My tolerance for crossposting is considerably less than
what others will accept, I guess. It's just been my experience that most
off topic crap is crossposted.

Just get yourself a copy of my filters (see my sig for instructions). That's
taken care of.

No, it's not. I have the file and it's up and running. I just want to be able
to nuke crossposted messages as mentioned above. The rules in the downloaded
file:

# Drop anything in rec.woodworking that's crossposted to 3 or more groups
# Drop anything in any other group that's crossposted to 5 or more groups

That isn't *any other group" and it isn't "any message that is crossposted to
two groups".

I can't make it any clearer what I'm looking for. (I think) Can you give me
the example rules to splice in so this will be useful to me in other groups? "5
or more" isn't gonna do it for me.

Some of my groups are *very* specific and a crosspost to *any* other group is a
sure sign it's off topic crap. Others are more flexible.

Thanks in advance.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Default Ladybugs and Jellybeans: no new threads on THOSE posts, plz.

Makes it easier to ignore them...

Just find a most appropriate pre-existing thread and use that if you
must. Might even try reading it first because your q. has probably been
answered and your rants are unoriginal (we all feel your pain).

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

That's a typo, BTW, should say 4 instead of 5

It also says, directly after that:

#
# Explanation:
# : match colon character
# [^:] match anything *except* colon
# [^:]+ match one or more non-colon
# ([^:]+ match one or more non-colon followed by a colon
# {2,} do the preceding two or more times
# Net effect: match colon, followed by two or more instances of
[non-colon(s), colon],
# or, more simply, anything with three or more colons separated by stuff that
isn't colons --
# in other words, any post with three or more groups in the xref: header.
#

This is followed directly by the rules that implement that explanation:

rec.woodworking drop xref:[^:]+{2,}
* drop xref:[^:]+{3,}

in the hopes that readers will be able to understand where the rules came from
and modify them to suit their own needs.

That isn't *any other group" and it isn't "any message that is crossposted to
two groups".

Pretty close.

I can't make it any clearer what I'm looking for. (I think) Can you give me
the example rules to splice in so this will be useful to me in other groups?
"5 or more" isn't gonna do it for me.

Actually, you *could* be a little clearer.

When you say you want to filter "any message that's crossposted to any other
group" do you mean any message in rec.woodworking that's crossposted anywhere
else, or any message *anywhere* that's crossposted anywhere else?

When you say you want to filter "any message that's crossposted to two groups"
do you mean *exactly* two groups (i.e. three or four is ok), or do you mean
"two or more"?

Some of my groups are *very* specific and a crosspost to *any* other group is a
sure sign it's off topic crap. Others are more flexible.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't tested these, so take this with a grain of salt...

# drop any message in rec.woodworking that's crossposted anywhere
rec.woodworking drop xref::

# drop any message in any group that's crossposted anywhere
* drop xref::

# drop any message in alt.archery that's crossposted to exactly 2 other groups
alt.archery drop xref:

--
Regards,

Download Nfilter at http://www.milmac.com/np-120.exe

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

HIt the send button too soon, sorry.

# drop any message in alt.archery that's crossposted to exactly 2 other groups
alt.archery drop xref:[^:]+:[^:]+:

# drop any message in alt.archery that's crossposted to 2 OR MORE other groups
alt.archery drop xref[^:]+{2,}

# drop any message in any group that's crossposted to 2 OR MORE other groups
* drop xref[^:]+{2,}

--
Regards,

Download Nfilter at
http://www.milmac.com/np-120.exe

Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

On Sun, 14 May 2006 21:43:00 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

HIt the send button too soon, sorry.

There are other kinds of filtering too ...104 lines for this last
message?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Doug Miller wrote:
# Drop anything in any other group that's crossposted to 5 or more groups

That's a typo, BTW, should say 4 instead of 5

OK, got it....

It also says, directly after that:

#
# Explanation:

# (Complicated stuff deleted for brevity)
in the hopes that readers will be able to understand where the rules came from
and modify them to suit their own needs.

That is where I apparently went wrong. I lack the horsepower between the ears
to figure that out.

Actually, you *could* be a little clearer.

When you say you want to filter "any message that's crossposted to any other
group" do you mean any message in rec.woodworking that's crossposted anywhere
else, or any message *anywhere* that's crossposted anywhere else?

Any message anywhere that's crossposted to any other group.

When you say you want to filter "any message that's crossposted to two groups"
do you mean *exactly* two groups (i.e. three or four is ok), or do you mean
"two or more"?

Any message anywhere that's crossposted to two or more groups; ie, it appears in
not only the original newsgroup but also two others.

I haven't tested these, so take this with a grain of salt...

OK, I'll give them a shot. Your rec.woodworking rules I'm using without
modification with very good results. I just wanted to expand the utility of the
program to my other newsgroups. Crossposters are the bane of my existence.

Mucho Grassy Ass,

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Doug Miller wrote:
# drop any message in any group that's crossposted to 2 OR MORE other groups
* drop xref[^:]+{2,}

That's the one! Thanks!

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN