Posted to rec.woodworking
LurfysMa

Default How to cut an access panel in formica?

Can anyone suggest the best way for me to cut an access door (maybe
12-18" square) in the back panel of a large worksurface? The panel is
..5" particle board with some type of laminate like formica.

I know I can just drill a hole, then get a saber saw and cut the hole.
But I would prefer not to leave a hole. My hope is to be able to
"re-attach" the cut out part in some fashion after I fix the phone
line and make it look as nice as possible. That is, (a) the thinnest,
straightest possible cut, (b) the least damage to the surrounding
laminate, and (c) a good way to re-attach it afterwards.

Thanks

--
For email, use
Posted to rec.woodworking
Thomas Kendrick

Given the size of the access door, I would use a thin kerf circular
saw blade to make the initial cuts. Just draw the rectangle for the
door with straight sides and set the saw depth for 3/8" so that you
cut a groove that does not penetrate to the other side. Do this for
all 4 sides of the door. Use the jigsaw to complete the cuts and make
the corner cuts.
For the re-attachment, use hinges on the lowest edge and a magnetic
catch at the top, all mounted on the inside surfaces.

On Fri, 05 May 2006 14:18:32 -0700, LurfysMa
wrote:

Can anyone suggest the best way for me to cut an access door (maybe
12-18" square) in the back panel of a large worksurface? The panel is
.5" particle board with some type of laminate like formica.

I know I can just drill a hole, then get a saber saw and cut the hole.
But I would prefer not to leave a hole. My hope is to be able to
"re-attach" the cut out part in some fashion after I fix the phone
line and make it look as nice as possible. That is, (a) the thinnest,
straightest possible cut, (b) the least damage to the surrounding
laminate, and (c) a good way to re-attach it afterwards.

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

You might want to use a "down-cut" jigsaw blade to complete the cuts.
Maybe even use painters tape over the cuts to help prevent chipping the
laminate. I think. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
LurfysMa

On 5 May 2006 16:41:52 -0700, "tom" wrote:

You might want to use a "down-cut" jigsaw blade to complete the cuts.
Maybe even use painters tape over the cuts to help prevent chipping the
laminate. I think. Tom

Use the painters tape before the cut? That is, cut through the tape?

--
For email, use
Posted to rec.woodworking
LurfysMa

On Fri, 05 May 2006 18:37:34 -0500, Thomas Kendrick
wrote:

Given the size of the access door, I would use a thin kerf circular
saw blade to make the initial cuts. Just draw the rectangle for the
door with straight sides and set the saw depth for 3/8" so that you
cut a groove that does not penetrate to the other side.

Why not set the saw blade to cut all the way through?

Do this for
all 4 sides of the door. Use the jigsaw to complete the cuts and make
the corner cuts.
For the re-attachment, use hinges on the lowest edge and a magnetic
catch at the top, all mounted on the inside surfaces.

I only have access to one side unless I unload the entire worksurface
and pull it away from the wall. There is maybe 4" between the back
panel and the wall.

wrote:

Can anyone suggest the best way for me to cut an access door (maybe
12-18" square) in the back panel of a large worksurface? The panel is
.5" particle board with some type of laminate like formica.

I know I can just drill a hole, then get a saber saw and cut the hole.
But I would prefer not to leave a hole. My hope is to be able to
"re-attach" the cut out part in some fashion after I fix the phone
line and make it look as nice as possible. That is, (a) the thinnest,
straightest possible cut, (b) the least damage to the surrounding
laminate, and (c) a good way to re-attach it afterwards.

Thanks

--
For email, use

Posted to rec.woodworking
no(SPAM)vasys

LurfysMa wrote:
Can anyone suggest the best way for me to cut an access door (maybe
12-18" square) in the back panel of a large worksurface? The panel is
..5" particle board with some type of laminate like formica.

I know I can just drill a hole, then get a saber saw and cut the hole.
But I would prefer not to leave a hole. My hope is to be able to
"re-attach" the cut out part in some fashion after I fix the phone
line and make it look as nice as possible. That is, (a) the thinnest,
straightest possible cut, (b) the least damage to the surrounding
laminate, and (c) a good way to re-attach it afterwards.

Thanks

Have you thought about fishing a new phone line without cutting the back
panel at all?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Thomas Kendrick

Are you fixing a phone line or do you need the access door for some
other purpose as well?

On Sat, 06 May 2006 09:01:22 -0400, "no(SPAM)vasys"
wrote:

LurfysMa wrote:
Can anyone suggest the best way for me to cut an access door (maybe
12-18" square) in the back panel of a large worksurface? The panel is
..5" particle board with some type of laminate like formica.

I know I can just drill a hole, then get a saber saw and cut the hole.
But I would prefer not to leave a hole. My hope is to be able to
"re-attach" the cut out part in some fashion after I fix the phone
line and make it look as nice as possible. That is, (a) the thinnest,
straightest possible cut, (b) the least damage to the surrounding
laminate, and (c) a good way to re-attach it afterwards.

Thanks

Have you thought about fishing a new phone line without cutting the back
panel at all?

Posted to rec.woodworking
LurfysMa

wrote:

LurfysMa wrote:
Can anyone suggest the best way for me to cut an access door (maybe
12-18" square) in the back panel of a large worksurface? The panel is
..5" particle board with some type of laminate like formica.

I know I can just drill a hole, then get a saber saw and cut the hole.
But I would prefer not to leave a hole. My hope is to be able to
"re-attach" the cut out part in some fashion after I fix the phone
line and make it look as nice as possible. That is, (a) the thinnest,
straightest possible cut, (b) the least damage to the surrounding
laminate, and (c) a good way to re-attach it afterwards.

Thanks

Have you thought about fishing a new phone line without cutting the back
panel at all?

I think that would be a lot more work. It's in a home office on the
second floor on an interior wall.

I need the access panel anyway to retrieve pens and pencils and gum
drops that fall back there! ;-)

--
For email, use
Posted to rec.woodworking
LurfysMa

On Sat, 06 May 2006 08:16:44 -0500, Thomas Kendrick
wrote:

Are you fixing a phone line or do you need the access door for some
other purpose as well?

At the moment, just to fix the phone line. But I also have a lot of
power cords and cat5 cables back there. It would be handy to have an
access panel. I have wanted one on several other occasions. I thought
about taking the back panel to someone to make an access panel when I
first bought the unit. Shoulda, coulda, woulda...

--
For email, use
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

LurfysMa wrote:Use the painters tape before the cut? That is, cut
through the tape?
Yes,
exactly. Tom