Posted to rec.woodworking
Jill B

Default obtaining FLAT surface

Hi all,

I'm trying to modify the look of a table top (approx size 4 by 2m). The
board that was used originally was not perfectly flat. On top of this
board, there is cherry-veneer finished with some kind of varnish.
When looking at the tabletop with light coming from the opposite, a
ripple effect is visible on the surface.
I thought of taking the veneer away, re-sand the board, but the
ripple-effect is to strong and won't be able to sand it out, at least,
that's what a professional told me.
I could change the board...but before I do that.. I'm wondering if
there is a lacquer - varnish - polyester - or other solution which
makes the top flat as a mirror and is transparent, i still want to
enjoy the cherry veneer...
Suggestions are welcome

Jill B

Posted to rec.woodworking

Perhaps some epoxy? A friend of mine bought some stuff he called
"liquid plastic" that he used to trap a bunch of labels in the finish
on a tabletop. Came out great, and I think he may have even bought it
at the Borg. It would seem that that would work for you as well.

Good Luck,

-Phil Crow

Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Jill B wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to modify the look of a table top (approx size 4 by 2m).
The board that was used originally was not perfectly flat. On top of
this board, there is cherry-veneer finished with some kind of varnish.
When looking at the tabletop with light coming from the opposite, a
ripple effect is visible on the surface.
I thought of taking the veneer away, re-sand the board, but the
ripple-effect is to strong and won't be able to sand it out, at least,
that's what a professional told me.
I could change the board...but before I do that.. I'm wondering if
there is a lacquer - varnish - polyester - or other solution which
makes the top flat as a mirror and is transparent, i still want to
enjoy the cherry veneer...
Suggestions are welcome

Jill B

I'm not sure whether you mean that the wood itself is "rippled" or if it is
the finish. If the wood itself, I'd think it will always appear rippled
regardless of what you put on it...angular light is always going to create
highlights/shadows even if the finish on the surface is dead flat.

As far as "flat as a mirror and transparent" goes, a pourable resin
qualifies.
http://www.uscomposites.com/polyesters.html (see "casting resin")
http://www.uscomposites.com/kk121.html

--