Posted to rec.woodworking
Jill B

Default obtaining FLAT surface

Hi all,

I'm trying to modify the look of a table top (approx size 4 by 2m). The
board that was used originally was not perfectly flat. On top of this
board, there is cherry-veneer finished with some kind of varnish.
When looking at the tabletop with light coming from the opposite, a
ripple effect is visible on the surface.
I thought of taking the veneer away, re-sand the board, but the
ripple-effect is to strong and won't be able to sand it out, at least,
that's what a professional told me.
I could change the board...but before I do that.. I'm wondering if
there is a lacquer - varnish - polyester - or other solution which
makes the top flat as a mirror and is transparent, i still want to
enjoy the cherry veneer...
Suggestions are welcome

Jill B