Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Coonrod

Default problem with stain marks on board after planeing

I have some QS red oak 5/4 for a hall table top and when I planed them
to 4/4 + some stain marks apeared on a couple locations and I am
wondering if I can bleach or clean these marks. I have (3) 9"x8'
bookmatched boards so the marks appear on the boards in the same general
location on the boards. The makes are not solid, they are
discolorations that may not even show up when finished, but I would hate
to have to go the that point only to find out that they show up. If I
could just get them to fade a bit. If there is such a cleaner, do I need
to do the entire board so they will finish the same?

Any help would be great and thanks- -Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

"Mike Coonrod" wrote in message
I have some QS red oak 5/4 for a hall table top and when I planed them to
4/4 + some stain marks apeared on a couple locations and I am wondering if
I can bleach or clean these marks. I have (3) 9"x8' bookmatched boards so
the marks appear on the boards in the same general location on the boards.
The makes are not solid, they are discolorations that may not even show up
when finished, but I would hate to have to go the that point only to find
out that they show up. If I could just get them to fade a bit. If there is
such a cleaner, do I need to do the entire board so they will finish the
same?

Any help would be great and thanks- -Mike

I recently had the same problem, black marks that run the width of the
board. I guess these come from strapping the lumber down during the kilning
process??

Anyway, all I can suggest is what I did: Scrape, sand, scrape, sand. And
try not to create any divots as you scrape them out. Periodically put a
straight edge accross the problem area as you scrape.

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com