Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Using Kiln dried fine for Hardwood flooring....

I was thinking of trying to save money on the premade hardwood flooring
and just using pine strips (kiln dried) for flooring insted. I would
get an air nailer to make sure the nails are deep enough, then stain
and varnish.

Does this sound like a good idea, or what should I do insted?

Thank you in advance.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was thinking of trying to save money on the premade hardwood flooring
and just using pine strips (kiln dried) for flooring insted. I would
get an air nailer to make sure the nails are deep enough, then stain
and varnish.

Does this sound like a good idea, or what should I do insted?

Thank you in advance.

The pine is more likely to get dinged and dented.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was thinking of trying to save money on the premade hardwood flooring
and just using pine strips (kiln dried) for flooring insted. I would
get an air nailer to make sure the nails are deep enough, then stain
and varnish.

Does this sound like a good idea, or what should I do insted?

Thank you in advance.

In a cabin, shop or in your main residence?

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
marson

one of the most beautiful floors i have ever seen was a red pine floor,
out of tongue and groove 4 to 6" wide planks. definitely a "shoes off"
floor, and you still will have tolerate dings and dents. but do dings
and dents ruin a floor? kind of depends on the style of your house.

Posted to rec.woodworking

My residence.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

Considering the fact that T&G SYP can be bought for very
little money, why would you attempt to "make" flooring ???

The last time I looked at syp flooring, it was under $2.00
a square foot.

wrote:

I was thinking of trying to save money on the premade hardwood flooring
and just using pine strips (kiln dried) for flooring insted. I would
get an air nailer to make sure the nails are deep enough, then stain
and varnish.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

wrote in message
oups.com...
My residence.

If you mean the kiln dried boards in the Big Box stores, I would not
recommend it for your home. Its simply not hard enough for a decent floor.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

thanks for your feed back.