Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Using Kiln dried fine for Hardwood flooring....

wrote:
I was thinking of trying to save money on the premade hardwood flooring
and just using pine strips (kiln dried) for flooring insted. I would
get an air nailer to make sure the nails are deep enough, then stain
and varnish.

Does this sound like a good idea, or what should I do insted?

Southern Yellow Pine is the only pine commonly available that
is hard enough for flooring.

'Kiln dried' just menas the wood was dried in a kiln without
regard to HOW dry. If you are talking about the wood sold for
ordinary construction it is usually not dry enough for flooring.
Anything that is, will probably cost almost as much as
tongue and groove flooring.

--

FF