Posted to rec.woodworking
Roger_Nickel

Default Using Kiln dried fine for Hardwood flooring....

wrote:
I was thinking of trying to save money on the premade hardwood flooring
and just using pine strips (kiln dried) for flooring insted. I would
get an air nailer to make sure the nails are deep enough, then stain
and varnish.

Does this sound like a good idea, or what should I do insted?

Thank you in advance.

Soft pine moves around a lot with humidity changes and marks
easily; maybe OK in a low traffic airconditioned domestic
environment and no worse than particle board for wear. Some of the
pines are harder than some of the soft hardwoods. I have seen
macrocarpa pine used as flooring and it seems to work OK.
Hardness is largely a function of the closeness of the grain and
the age of the tree.