DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Using Kiln dried fine for Hardwood flooring.... (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/152838-using-kiln-dried-fine-hardwood-flooring.html)

[email protected] April 10th 06 09:49 PM

Using Kiln dried fine for Hardwood flooring....

I was thinking of trying to save money on the premade hardwood flooring
and just using pine strips (kiln dried) for flooring insted. I would
get an air nailer to make sure the nails are deep enough, then stain
and varnish.

Does this sound like a good idea, or what should I do insted?

Thank you in advance.

Leon April 10th 06 10:01 PM

Using Kiln dried fine for Hardwood flooring....

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was thinking of trying to save money on the premade hardwood flooring
and just using pine strips (kiln dried) for flooring insted. I would
get an air nailer to make sure the nails are deep enough, then stain
and varnish.

Does this sound like a good idea, or what should I do insted?

Thank you in advance.

The pine is more likely to get dinged and dented.

Teamcasa April 10th 06 10:17 PM

Using Kiln dried fine for Hardwood flooring....

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was thinking of trying to save money on the premade hardwood flooring
and just using pine strips (kiln dried) for flooring insted. I would
get an air nailer to make sure the nails are deep enough, then stain
and varnish.

Does this sound like a good idea, or what should I do insted?

Thank you in advance.

In a cabin, shop or in your main residence?

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Roger_Nickel April 10th 06 11:14 PM

wrote:
I was thinking of trying to save money on the premade hardwood flooring
and just using pine strips (kiln dried) for flooring insted. I would
get an air nailer to make sure the nails are deep enough, then stain
and varnish.

Does this sound like a good idea, or what should I do insted?

Thank you in advance.

Soft pine moves around a lot with humidity changes and marks
easily; maybe OK in a low traffic airconditioned domestic
environment and no worse than particle board for wear. Some of the
pines are harder than some of the soft hardwoods. I have seen
macrocarpa pine used as flooring and it seems to work OK.
Hardness is largely a function of the closeness of the grain and
the age of the tree.

[email protected] April 11th 06 12:54 AM

wrote:
I was thinking of trying to save money on the premade hardwood flooring
and just using pine strips (kiln dried) for flooring insted. I would
get an air nailer to make sure the nails are deep enough, then stain
and varnish.

Does this sound like a good idea, or what should I do insted?

Southern Yellow Pine is the only pine commonly available that
is hard enough for flooring.

'Kiln dried' just menas the wood was dried in a kiln without
regard to HOW dry. If you are talking about the wood sold for
ordinary construction it is usually not dry enough for flooring.
Anything that is, will probably cost almost as much as
tongue and groove flooring.

--

FF

Sailaway April 11th 06 01:43 AM

Fredfighter Wrote:
Southern Yellow Pine is the only pine commonly available that
is hard enough for flooring.

'Kiln dried' just menas the wood was dried in a kiln without
regard to HOW dry. If you are talking about the wood sold for
ordinary construction it is usually not dry enough for flooring.

?Anything that is, will probably cost almost as much as
tongue and groove flooring.

-- FF

My sister has wide-board pine flooring which she had installed all over
the first floor of her house more than 30 years ago, and which has held
up beautifully under her kids. Reasonable care is the key to keeping it
durable - like any wood floor. BTW, I saw T&G pine flooring (3 widths)
for sale at a local flooring company last week. Didn't ask what kind of
pine though.

marson April 11th 06 03:02 AM

Using Kiln dried fine for Hardwood flooring....

one of the most beautiful floors i have ever seen was a red pine floor,
out of tongue and groove 4 to 6" wide planks. definitely a "shoes off"
floor, and you still will have tolerate dings and dents. but do dings
and dents ruin a floor? kind of depends on the style of your house.

[email protected] April 11th 06 05:53 AM

Using Kiln dried fine for Hardwood flooring....

My residence.

Pat Barber April 11th 06 04:08 PM

Using Kiln dried fine for Hardwood flooring....

Considering the fact that T&G SYP can be bought for very
little money, why would you attempt to "make" flooring ???

The last time I looked at syp flooring, it was under $2.00
a square foot.

Teamcasa April 11th 06 04:49 PM

Using Kiln dried fine for Hardwood flooring....

wrote in message
oups.com...
My residence.

If you mean the kiln dried boards in the Big Box stores, I would not
recommend it for your home. Its simply not hard enough for a decent floor.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

[email protected] April 14th 06 09:45 PM

Using Kiln dried fine for Hardwood flooring....

thanks for your feed back.