Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Default Help with joinery on bedside table carcase

I found this in an issue of FWW from a while back. Neither the drawing
nor the article makes it clear how the bottom is fastened other than the
screws at the front.

http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/p...ploded_577.jpg

I assume that it is fastened to the back of the plinth with a screw in
an elongated hole?

What would you recommend for fastening it to the sides? I have so far
considered dowels and dovetails. Anyone have any other ideas?

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
Chris Friesen wrote:

I assume that it is fastened to the back of the plinth with a screw in
an elongated hole?

That's what it looks like to me. I'd pocket-hole the rail and drive
straight through the plinth into the carcass.... a bit crude, but
effective... and reversible.
Nice design! You will show us the finished project, no?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Robatoy wrote:

Nice design! You will show us the finished project, no?

That's the idea. Of course it may take me all summer to get it done...

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Chris Friesen wrote:
I found this in an issue of FWW from a while back. Neither the
drawing nor the article makes it clear how the bottom is fastened
other than the screws at the front.

http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/p...ploded_577.jpg

I assume that it is fastened to the back of the plinth with a screw in
an elongated hole?

What would you recommend for fastening it to the sides? I have so far
considered dowels and dovetails. Anyone have any other ideas?

I'd rabbet it and glue the rabbet into stopped dados on the sides. Same
idea as way the top hold down buttons hook to the sides.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

dadiOH wrote:

I'd rabbet it and glue the rabbet into stopped dados on the sides. Same
idea as way the top hold down buttons hook to the sides.

I thought about a varient of that. The downside is that you have no
long grain-to-long grain gluing. What are the chances of the glue
letting go?

One of the guys on the canadian woodworking forums figured it was
dovetailed to the sides. That would certainly add some strength, but
also a fair bit more work.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Chris Friesen wrote:
dadiOH wrote:

I'd rabbet it and glue the rabbet into stopped dados on the sides.
Same idea as way the top hold down buttons hook to the sides.

I thought about a varient of that. The downside is that you have no
long grain-to-long grain gluing. What are the chances of the glue
letting go?

Zero to slim. What's going to pull it loose? No pressure outward on
the sides from anything and the sides are on a plinth to boot.

I have a "down & dirty" workshop table cum tool cabinet that I made 13
years ago. The drawer sides are glued into dados in the drawer fronts.
Both are solid wood, not ply. One side of one of the twelve drawers let
loose a few days ago...it is the drawer that holds a bunch of wrenches,
must weigh close to 50 pounds. I don't think your cabinet sides would
let go

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...