Posted to rec.woodworking
scully

Default Table saw question

Just bought a brand new Porter Cable Benchto top table saw, see it
he http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=4946

While setting it up I found the machined aluminium table is slightly
concave from front to back It is consistent along the entire width of
the saw table. It looks pretty good from end to end. It is only a
poofteenth [14 thou] from being flat and am wondering whether this is
within acceptable tolerances for this type of saw.
Would they actually machine it like this on purpose? and if so why?

I have never owned a table saw prooir to this and really have no idea
to what sort of tolerances are acceptable.
Thanks
scul
Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

"scully" wrote in message
Just bought a brand new Porter Cable Benchto top table saw, see it
he http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=4946

While setting it up I found the machined aluminium table is slightly
concave from front to back It is consistent along the entire width of
the saw table. It looks pretty good from end to end. It is only a
poofteenth [14 thou] from being flat and am wondering whether this is
within acceptable tolerances for this type of saw.
Would they actually machine it like this on purpose? and if so why?

I have never owned a table saw prooir to this and really have no idea
to what sort of tolerances are acceptable.
Thanks
scul

Amazon refers to this model as a "Job Site Table Saw", although I'm
surprised at the $400 cost. I figure the common usage for a saw such as
this is for the job site, where 1/64" of concavity isn't going to be a
problem. I see no reason why it would be machined as such purposely. If I
was on the hunt for a step up, I would probably spend another couple hundred
on a Grizzly contractor's saw.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Check with Delta. There top of the line saw is within specs at +- .015.

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message news:aD8Rf.102no
| idea to what sort of tolerances are acceptable.

With a list price of more than US$500, I'd take it back to exchange
for a machine with a flat (to within +/- 0.001") table. It sounds as
if you got a warpeed casting.

No, they wouldn't intentionally machine it that way.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
scully

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 07:16:55 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Check with Delta. There top of the line saw is within specs at +- .015.

So by that measure the one I have would be within that spec at .014?

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message news:aD8Rf.102no
| idea to what sort of tolerances are acceptable.

With a list price of more than US$500, I'd take it back to exchange
for a machine with a flat (to within +/- 0.001") table. It sounds as
if you got a warpeed casting.

No, they wouldn't intentionally machine it that way.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto

scul
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

All the PC equipment I've seen is subject to poor quality control. Go
Delta for a reasonably priced and warranted equipment.
Bugs

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Easily. You will have no problems with it. I think Morris's comment was more
about what he thought as a high price for a jobsite type saw.

"scully" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 07:16:55 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Check with Delta. There top of the line saw is within specs at +- .015.

So by that measure the one I have would be within that spec at .014?

Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

With a list price of more than US$500, I'd take it back to exchange
for a machine with a flat (to within +/- 0.001") table. It sounds as
if you got a warpeed casting.

With a price of more than $500, I'd take it back and buy this:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0444

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Look around jobsites. The small ones are what you'll see. "Contractor saws"
never leave the shop anymore.
"brianlanning" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think Morris's comment was more
about what he thought as a high price for a jobsite type saw.

I thought contractor's saw were jobsite type saws. What the OP linked
to looked more like a bench top saw with a stand.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

"CW" wrote in message
ink.net...
Look around jobsites. The small ones are what you'll see. "Contractor
saws"
never leave the shop anymore.

When I typed my earlier response, it occurred to me that "contractor saw"
seems like a misnomer nowadays.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie H.

I think getting the blade square to the table top (miter slot and fence) and
the repeatability of the fence will be much more noticeable than .014 cup
across the table top. Chances are the material you will be cutting will have
more than .014 variance over a much shorter span. If you bought it locally
at someplace like Lowes or Home Depot you might see if you can look at
another one before returning the one you have. Depending on how the table
top is mounted you might be able to shim it in the low spot from underneath,
since it is aluminum it will be fairly easy to flex it .014.
Charlie

"scully" wrote in message
Just bought a brand new Porter Cable Benchto top table saw, see it
he http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=4946

While setting it up I found the machined aluminium table is slightly
concave from front to back It is consistent along the entire width of
the saw table. It looks pretty good from end to end. It is only a
poofteenth [14 thou] from being flat and am wondering whether this is
within acceptable tolerances for this type of saw.
Would they actually machine it like this on purpose? and if so why?

I have never owned a table saw prooir to this and really have no idea
to what sort of tolerances are acceptable.
Thanks
scul

Posted to rec.woodworking
mew

Definately Delta. I bought the Unisaw 3 years ago and it had a 0.01
dip in the middle of the main table. I called and they sent a
replacement even though it was within spec. They did not even want the
"warped" one returned. I cannot bear to throw out the old table top
but have not found a use for it yet. The new top was within 0.004"
which is plenty good enough.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Gorman

mew wrote:
Definately Delta. I bought the Unisaw 3 years ago and it had a 0.01
dip in the middle of the main table. I called and they sent a
replacement even though it was within spec. They did not even want the
"warped" one returned. I cannot bear to throw out the old table top
but have not found a use for it yet. The new top was within 0.004"
which is plenty good enough.

Mike

Put in a blank throat plate and use as an extension table, or modify it
to mount a router in it, separately or attached to the saw.
Joe