Posted to rec.woodworking
david blumberg

Default Table Saw Dust Question

Hi,

I want to add dust control to my small shop. If I install an over the
blade/blade guard suction port on the table saw how can I use push
sticks, Grippers, etc. on narrow rips.

How have others dealt with this?

thanks.

david

Posted to rec.woodworking
www

"david blumberg" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi,

I want to add dust control to my small shop. If I install an over the
blade/blade guard suction port on the table saw how can I use push
sticks, Grippers, etc. on narrow rips.

How have others dealt with this?

Basically, you can't. Well not easily anyway in my opinion, and if you try a
complex setup to work around it, it often ends up being more dangerous to
make the cut than without it, because you have several objects all trying to
compete with the same workspace around the blade.

I grab a dust mask, turn on the room air cleaner and go to work using the
GRR-Ripper for narrow cuts. Sure you get a bit of dust in the air but the
room air cleaner usually takes care of it. I do keep the mask on afterwards
if I am still in the shop (its a ventilated one) or leave the shop for 15-20
minutes following to allow the dust to clear or be sucked up by the air
cleaner etc.

Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Veritas (LV) Medium Shoulder Plane
- Book: Scroll Saw Fundamentals
- Ryobi BT3100K Table Saw System
- Senco 41XP Finish Nailer (Review Update)
- Porter Cable NS150A Narrow Crown Stapler
- Book: Popular Mechanics Shelving & Storage

Posted to rec.woodworking

When I get around to installing an overarm guard, I have this picture
in my head of a sort of half-a-guard thing that's only on the left side
of the blade, leaving plenty of room on the right hand side. The
suction will be much lower but there'll still be some. It would be
similar to putting a small big-gulp fixture on one side of the saw
blade. I have no idea how well it would work, and have never seen one
in any catalog. Just an idea that occurred to me when I was thinking
about how I'd design an overarm guard.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

I have the Biesemeyer guard on a Delta 12/14" saw.

It presents "some" problems but it is a LOT safer.

The only time I run into a problem with push sticks
is on VERY narrow rips of 2" or less. The guard can be
moved quite easily and I continue to use it for every
operation that is possible.

david blumberg wrote:

Hi,

I want to add dust control to my small shop. If I install an over the
blade/blade guard suction port on the table saw how can I use push
sticks, Grippers, etc. on narrow rips.

How have others dealt with this?

thanks.

david

Posted to rec.woodworking

The main debris on mine collects under the saw table. For the bit of
dust above the blade you can set up a vacuum port to one side . I use a
metal housing sold for furnace ducting vents with an adapter to the
dust collector hose.