Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie H.

Default Table saw question

I think getting the blade square to the table top (miter slot and fence) and
the repeatability of the fence will be much more noticeable than .014 cup
across the table top. Chances are the material you will be cutting will have
more than .014 variance over a much shorter span. If you bought it locally
at someplace like Lowes or Home Depot you might see if you can look at
another one before returning the one you have. Depending on how the table
top is mounted you might be able to shim it in the low spot from underneath,
since it is aluminum it will be fairly easy to flex it .014.
Charlie

"scully" wrote in message
Just bought a brand new Porter Cable Benchto top table saw, see it
he http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=4946

While setting it up I found the machined aluminium table is slightly
concave from front to back It is consistent along the entire width of
the saw table. It looks pretty good from end to end. It is only a
poofteenth [14 thou] from being flat and am wondering whether this is
within acceptable tolerances for this type of saw.
Would they actually machine it like this on purpose? and if so why?

I have never owned a table saw prooir to this and really have no idea
to what sort of tolerances are acceptable.
Thanks
scul