Posted to rec.woodworking
J R

Default waterproof lumber

Is there a wood that is pretty much waterproof, naturally? Something
that could be expected to hold up for several decades without rotting
away?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve DeMars

Cypress & Redwood I beleive would do it . . .

"J R" wrote in message
Is there a wood that is pretty much waterproof, naturally? Something
that could be expected to hold up for several decades without rotting
away?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"J R" wrote in message
Is there a wood that is pretty much waterproof, naturally? Something
that could be expected to hold up for several decades without rotting
away?

Cypress does a pretty good job of it ... although all wood will eventually
decay.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Australopithecus scobis

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 18:15:09 -0500, J R opined:

Is there a wood that is pretty much waterproof, naturally? Something
that could be expected to hold up for several decades without rotting
away?

Petrified wood. It's also fireproof.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

J R wrote:
Is there a wood that is pretty much waterproof, naturally? Something
that could be expected to hold up for several decades without rotting
away?

I believe willow was once used for the "wet" parts of a watermill.

er
--
email not valid

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Swingman wrote:
"J R" wrote in message
Is there a wood that is pretty much waterproof, naturally? Something
that could be expected to hold up for several decades without rotting
away?

Cypress does a pretty good job of it ... although all wood will eventually
decay.

My brother told me of an encounter on a motorcycle trip he'd taken. He
ran across a small forest of stumps in a swampy meadow, and asked about
it at the next town. He asked if there was much logging in the area
and mentioned the stumps. He was told they were cypress trees that had
been cut down 70 years ago! So, yeah, I guess cypress does a pretty
good job with the elements.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lyndell Thompson

"Enoch Root" wrote in message
news:Y76dnc5mE4vCgY_ZnZ2dnUVZ_vydnZ2d@forethought. net...
J R wrote:
Is there a wood that is pretty much waterproof, naturally? Something
that could be expected to hold up for several decades without rotting
away?

I believe willow was once used for the "wet" parts of a watermill.

er
--
email not valid

Knots from apple trees were the bearings for "said" watermill.

Lyndell :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
marcaf

Locust will not rot

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Is there a wood that is pretty much waterproof, naturally? Something
that could be expected to hold up for several decades without rotting
away?

Beside others mentioned, Ipe ´[also called] Pao Lope decking, and teak. If you
get into sawing the Ipe´ be prepared that the wood is full of silicates (rock sand)
that grows into the trees as the tree drinks through it's roots. This wears down
carbide quicker than woods without it. You would use Harbour Freight carbide
saw blades. The teak is simply far more expensive.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"J R" wrote in message
Is there a wood that is pretty much waterproof, naturally? Something
that could be expected to hold up for several decades without rotting
away?

Durability? Yep, just depends on if you want "natural" bacteria/fungicide
or man-made pressure-treated.

No wood is waterproof. Its job was to carry water, after all.

Posted to rec.woodworking
John Flatley

Teak

--
I've never learned anything from someone who agreed
with me.
"J R" wrote in message
| Is there a wood that is pretty much waterproof,
naturally? Something
| that could be expected to hold up for several decades
without rotting
| away?

Posted to rec.woodworking

The distinction that must be made is this:

Wood timbers, in this case pilings will last virtually forever
"immersed" in "fresh" water (salt water contains marine borers and
other creatures that love wood).

One wing of the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris was built on wood
pilings in a peat bog and therefore the piles were saturated for the
1000 years until the structure was to be re-built. The pilings were
re-used.

Any wood *partially saturated* - alternately wet and dry - will rot.
Some fast, some slowly.

Me P.E.

***

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:24:39 GMT, "dadiOH"
wrote:

I also recall reading sometime ago about some greenheart pilings that
had been removed from the Thames River...said they were still good after
300 years of immersion.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bob

Azobe is 160% densers than red oak and supposedly almost immune to rot.
Used for railroad ties and bridge tressles. I'll make you a great deal on
some - $1.00 a board foot. Located in Alabama.

Bob

"J R" wrote in message
Is there a wood that is pretty much waterproof, naturally? Something
that could be expected to hold up for several decades without rotting
away?

Posted to rec.woodworking

It would depend on your application and environment. A cedar shingle
roof can last a few decades in some areas. A log completely submerged
in fresh water can yield usable lumber after several decades. We have
a ship here in Baltimore, the Constellation, that was built before the
Civil War. I understand it still has "some" of the original timbers in
her.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dzine

Well here in the UK elm was the wood of choice for underground water
pipes, 10" baulks 10' long drilled with a manual auger. Also used as
dish drainers and baths.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Seems like wine and whisky barrels last for a long time, made from
white oak.
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Dzine" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well here in the UK elm was the wood of choice for underground water
pipes, 10" baulks 10' long drilled with a manual auger. Also used as
dish drainers and baths.

Here (USA) too. Not sure why the Roman ceramic fad went out of style,
though I suppose those with acid water will not regret us discarding lead
piping....