Posted to rec.woodworking
Eli Luong

Default Post-It-like adhesive

Hi,

I'm on a design team, which is an undergraduate course at my
university. We are currently developing a surgical stapler and require
an adhesive with certain properties. The adhesive will be bonding
either titanium or stainless steel staples to whatever standard
material most medical devices are made of. The adhesive must be
temporary because the staples will be mounted onto this flap that is
inside the stapler and the adhesive needs to keep the staples in place.
After being stapled, however, the staples will fire out and the flaps
will be retracted, and the adhesive should be able to somewhat easily
detach the flap from the staples. Biocompatibility and biodegradability
would be a plus, but we need to find an adhesive first. I'm wondering
if anyone knows of an adhesive like this.

Thank you,
- Eli Luong

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Maybe a derivative of hide glue, you know, collagen? Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
Eli Luong

Thanks for the speedy reply. Would you know where I should start
looking? Do commerical products exist? Otherwise it wouldn't be good
for us to have to mix the glue ourselves and figure it out if it
actually works or not.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Eli Luong wrote:
[...]

Maybe gum arabic?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Markem

On 6 Mar 2006 21:43:07 -0800, "Eli Luong" wrote:

I'm wondering
if anyone knows of an adhesive like this.

Try 3M

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Eli Luong wrote:Would you know where I should start
looking? Do commerical products exist? Otherwise it wouldn't be good
for us to have to mix the glue ourselves and figure it out if it
actually works or not.

You can start looking for hide glue at your local Woodcraft or
woodworking-type store. You've got to test_sometime_ Eli. "It wouldn't
be good" to mix it yourself? Why not? For every success, there's
probably a hundred failures(at least). Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Blanchard

Eli Luong wrote:

Hi,

I'm on a design team, which is an undergraduate course at my
university.

Why is this on the wreck? Especially with "MISMATCH" in the path.
Methinks I smell a troll. Albeit a better one than normal :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.woodworking
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Personally, I'm hoping it IS a troll. Having our future doctors use
woodworking newsgroups to design surgical procedures doesn't make me
look too kindly towards my dismal future old age!

Jack

Larry Blanchard wrote:
Eli Luong wrote:

Hi,

I'm on a design team, which is an undergraduate course at my
university.

Why is this on the wreck? Especially with "MISMATCH" in the path.
Methinks I smell a troll. Albeit a better one than normal :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article .com,
Eli Luong wrote:
Hi,

I'm on a design team, which is an undergraduate course at my
university. We are currently developing a surgical stapler and require
an adhesive with certain properties. The adhesive will be bonding
either titanium or stainless steel staples to whatever standard
material most medical devices are made of. The adhesive must be
temporary because the staples will be mounted onto this flap that is
inside the stapler and the adhesive needs to keep the staples in place.
After being stapled, however, the staples will fire out and the flaps
will be retracted, and the adhesive should be able to somewhat easily
detach the flap from the staples. Biocompatibility and biodegradability
would be a plus, but we need to find an adhesive first. I'm wondering
if anyone knows of an adhesive like this.

Rubber cement.

(comment for the regulars here -- get your mind out of the gutter!)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael Daly

On 7-Mar-2006, "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote:

Having our future doctors use
woodworking newsgroups to design surgical procedures doesn't make me
look too kindly towards my dismal future old age!

Leonard Lee left Lee Valley to start up a company that makes surgical equipment.
Their first product was an improved scalpel - a surgeon approached Lee Valley
to see if they could get a better scalpel for him; the woodworking carving handle
he experimented with couldn't stand up to the autoclave. They also designed a
jig for holding a hand in place for surgery.

Woodworkers - especially with minds like the Lees - seem to be a good place
to start!

Mike
Posted to rec.woodworking
Eli Luong

This is an undergraduate design team course to design a prototype of a
device, so it's likely a real device put into production would have
consultation from more moedically-focused sources.