Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

Default Objective Router Bit Testing?

I'm confused. Are router bits supposed to be resharpened, like saw
blades? Or are the disposable? I'm in the market for a slot cutter
and a beading bit to make some wide-plank beadboard for a fireplace
surround. I've heard good things about Whiteside, but I can find much
cheaper bits. Is the quality of cut different right out of the gate?

Sam Maloof using those cheapos has really messed with my "buy the best
and only cry once" mentality. Suggestions? I may just go with Lee
Valley and be done with it....

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Jay Pique wrote:

I'm confused. Are router bits supposed to be resharpened, like saw
blades? Or are the disposable? I'm in the market for a slot cutter
and a beading bit to make some wide-plank beadboard for a fireplace
surround. I've heard good things about Whiteside, but I can find much
cheaper bits. Is the quality of cut different right out of the gate?

Sam Maloof using those cheapos has really messed with my "buy the best
and only cry once" mentality. Suggestions? I may just go with Lee
Valley and be done with it....

JP

LV is not the only game in town for quality router bits, JP.
CMT
Amana
Bosch
Whiteside
Freud

I've gotten some real dogs when I've strayed from those brands (I don't
own Whiteside, but so many others swear by them), but I'm not naming
names due to a potential flame war.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Jackson

Router bits are like sawblades. More carbide means more expensive, but it
can be sharpened more times. Less carbide means cheaper, but less (or even
no) sharpenings. My less expensive router bits generally get pitched and
replaced when dull. The more costly ones get sharpened. The cut quality on
both cheaper and pricier is generally good on both initially, however less
carbide (cheaper) bits generally dull faster. If you are just making a
fireplace surround and probably will not use those bits very much afterward,
I'd suggest just buying a "mid-grade" level of bits. --dave

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm confused. Are router bits supposed to be resharpened, like saw
blades? Or are the disposable? I'm in the market for a slot cutter
and a beading bit to make some wide-plank beadboard for a fireplace
surround. I've heard good things about Whiteside, but I can find much
cheaper bits. Is the quality of cut different right out of the gate?

Sam Maloof using those cheapos has really messed with my "buy the best
and only cry once" mentality. Suggestions? I may just go with Lee
Valley and be done with it....

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
Art Greenberg

On 27 Feb 2006 17:13:08 -0800, Jay Pique wrote:
I'm confused. Are router bits supposed to be resharpened, like saw
blades? Or are the disposable? I'm in the market for a slot cutter
and a beading bit to make some wide-plank beadboard for a fireplace
surround. I've heard good things about Whiteside, but I can find much
cheaper bits. Is the quality of cut different right out of the gate?

Sam Maloof using those cheapos has really messed with my "buy the best
and only cry once" mentality. Suggestions? I may just go with Lee
Valley and be done with it....

I've been very happy with every Whiteside bit I have purchased and used (not
all that many; a solid carbide upcut spiral, a few template and flush trims,
and a few roundovers). I cannot say the same for Freud (a 1/2-inch template
bit that cuts undersized). I did try a CMT roundover once, and it worked OK. I
haven't actually tried any others.

BTW, I have become accustomed to the bit *feeling* sharp, as the Whitesides
invariably do on arrival. I cannot say the same for that Freud template bit,
or cheapies I see at the WW shows. They just don't feel as sharp, and I have
to think they would not cut as well.

--
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

Morris Dovey wrote:

Yup. The quality of cut /is/ different.

Thanks, all, for your replies. I think I'm going to go with Whiteside
and I'm going to keep track of the miles I put on them. I'm surprised
FWW hasn't done a good test of bits - magnified pics b4 and after use,
side by side cut comparisons, thickness of carbide, etc...

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

I'm surprised FWW hasn't done a good test of bits - magnified pics b4 and after use, side by side cut comparisons, thickness of carbide, etc...

As a matter of fact, they did just that (though some here might argue
how "good" the test was...) I think it seems like a fairly objective
test overall. Check out
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00045.asp
and see what you think.
MLCS likes to share the results of this test on their website.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Mahanke

The quality of the micrograin carbide is also a factor in longevity. Cheap
bits are often made from recyled carbide resulting in an inconsistant grain
size which chips easier, thus dulling faster.

"Dave Jackson" wrote in message
nk.net...
Router bits are like sawblades. More carbide means more expensive, but it
can be sharpened more times. Less carbide means cheaper, but less (or

even
no) sharpenings. My less expensive router bits generally get pitched and
replaced when dull. The more costly ones get sharpened. The cut quality

on
both cheaper and pricier is generally good on both initially, however

less
carbide (cheaper) bits generally dull faster. If you are just making a
fireplace surround and probably will not use those bits very much

afterward,
I'd suggest just buying a "mid-grade" level of bits. --dave

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm confused. Are router bits supposed to be resharpened, like saw
blades? Or are the disposable? I'm in the market for a slot cutter
and a beading bit to make some wide-plank beadboard for a fireplace
surround. I've heard good things about Whiteside, but I can find much
cheaper bits. Is the quality of cut different right out of the gate?

Sam Maloof using those cheapos has really messed with my "buy the best
and only cry once" mentality. Suggestions? I may just go with Lee
Valley and be done with it....

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...

Sam Maloof using those cheapos has really messed with my "buy the best
and only cry once" mentality.

Sam Maloof is being paid for his endorsement. He may very well be using the
cheapo bit for a 1 time need and in that case I would not object to doing
the same.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...

Sam Maloof using those cheapos has really messed with my "buy the best
and only cry once" mentality.

Sam Maloof is being paid for his endorsement. He may very well be using
the cheapo bit for a 1 time need and in that case I would not object to
doing the same.

He's also hand-holding and using them as if they were ball mills most of the
time. Precision means little in the way he works them, just hogging wood.

There's quality of steel, quality of brazing, quality of carbide, and last
of all, "feeling sharp." Not much any of us can do about the first three
without our NDT metallurgy lab, so we have to trust the manufacturer. I buy
the shape I want from the place I'm ordering from at the moment, to combine
for shipping. Or MLCS for bits only, where shipping's folded in. With the
exception that those touting finer-grain carbide put less of it on the bit,
I've found no difference.

I have never purchased the Chinese stuff at a box store.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...

Sam Maloof using those cheapos has really messed with my "buy the best
and only cry once" mentality.

Sam Maloof is being paid for his endorsement. He may very well be using
the cheapo bit for a 1 time need and in that case I would not object to
doing the same.

Whatever happened to the guy who was going to ask Sam about the bits?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Frank Drackman" wrote in message

Whatever happened to the guy who was going to ask Sam about the bits?

I called him on his comment about him stating that he knew Sam Maloof "well"
as they were neighbors and then him stating that he did not know something
that should have been common knowledge about a neighbor that you "knew
well". I also asked that he talk to Sam Maloof and get the real story about
his association with the router bit company and I finally received an
obscene comment about my "Neck" ??? ;~) and he disappeared.

I suspect that there was a LOT of speculation or "made up comments" on his
part about Sam Maloof's business affairs.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"Frank Drackman" wrote in message

Whatever happened to the guy who was going to ask Sam about the bits?

I called him on his comment about him stating that he knew Sam Maloof
"well" as they were neighbors and then him stating that he did not know
something that should have been common knowledge about a neighbor that
you "knew well". I also asked that he talk to Sam Maloof and get the real
story about his association with the router bit company and I finally
received an obscene comment about my "Neck" ??? ;~) and he disappeared.

I suspect that there was a LOT of speculation or "made up comments" on his
part about Sam Maloof's business affairs.

Thanks for the update.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

Andy wrote:
I'm surprised FWW hasn't done a good test of bits - magnified pics b4 and after use, side by side cut comparisons, thickness of carbide, etc...

As a matter of fact, they did just that (though some here might argue
how "good" the test was...) I think it seems like a fairly objective
test overall. Check out
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00045.asp
and see what you think.
MLCS likes to share the results of this test on their website.

I see that Whiteside came out on top - confirming what I've read in
this group. I believe I'll go with them.

Thanks for the link, Andy.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

George wrote:

ball mills

Sorry... Painful visual.

A Bridgeport and my balls... G

I've Decided On My New Router Table Design J T Woodworking 4 January 26th 06 03:45 PM
Router Station in Table Saw Extension Bob Woodworking 11 August 23rd 05 01:09 AM
router bit doesn't match the router hole by thousandths.. Faustino Dina Woodworking 10 November 20th 04 05:15 PM
Router Cabinet bowhunter Woodworking 8 February 19th 04 04:22 PM
Can one use the Dremel Advantage Plunge Router Attachment (Model 963-01) with Standard Router Bits? Adriaan Sachtler Woodworking 1 January 20th 04 01:33 AM