Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Default PC7518 speed control problem

Sometimes my 7518 can't control the lowest speed. It spins way too fast
and then slows down to under 500 RPM before speeding up again. I'm
trying to run a panel bit (3-1/4") and need it to turn SLOWLY. The
second lowest speed is consistent, but I want to use the slowest speed.

Anyone know of any tricks to fix this at home? do you know how much the
defective part costs? Is it a logic board or a sensor? I called PC
last year about it and they said they know that model does that, but
this is ridiculous because it'll go FULL speed, which is scary with that
large of a bit on it.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"David" wrote in message
Sometimes my 7518 can't control the lowest speed. It spins way too fast
and then slows down to under 500 RPM before speeding up again. I'm trying
to run a panel bit (3-1/4") and need it to turn SLOWLY. The second lowest
speed is consistent, but I want to use the slowest speed.

Anyone know of any tricks to fix this at home? do you know how much the
defective part costs? Is it a logic board or a sensor? I called PC last
year about it and they said they know that model does that, but this is
ridiculous because it'll go FULL speed, which is scary with that large of
a bit on it.

That is apparently an inherent problem with that old router design. I read
a magazine test of most all the big routers. They had the same problem with
this router and got the same answer that you did. Apparently this all
smoothes out when you actually start feeding stock and the circuitry has
something to measure against IIRC.
If the router is still new I would return it and get another model all
together. That router is an old standard but has been IMHO out done by the
competition in the last 2 or 3 years. Milwaukee or Triton would be my
choice. I went with the Triton a couple of years ago after looking at the
big router offerings. Almost got the Milwaukee.

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Leon wrote:

"David" wrote in message

[...]

Mine doesn't smooth out. It slows down to nearly a stop after feeding
about 1' of stock. On the next all the other settings it's fine.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"David" wrote in message

Mine doesn't smooth out. It slows down to nearly a stop after feeding
about 1' of stock. On the next all the other settings it's fine.

New router? Return it. PC has problems that they admit are normal so I
suspect you are going to have to live with it. I suspect an inherent
problem that falls within their tolerance specs.

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Leon wrote:

"David" wrote in message

Mine doesn't smooth out. It slows down to nearly a stop after feeding
about 1' of stock. On the next all the other settings it's fine.

New router? Return it. PC has problems that they admit are normal so I
suspect you are going to have to live with it. I suspect an inherent
problem that falls within their tolerance specs.

As if! over 3 years old. When it comes to a near stop, I don't think
that meets even the most lenient "specs", Leon. LOL!

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"David" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

As if! over 3 years old. When it comes to a near stop, I don't think
that meets even the most lenient "specs", Leon. LOL!

Ouch... I'd replace the switch and or speed control and then maybe have a
garage sale.

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Leon wrote:

"David" wrote in message

Leon wrote:

As if! over 3 years old. When it comes to a near stop, I don't think
that meets even the most lenient "specs", Leon. LOL!

Ouch... I'd replace the switch and or speed control and then maybe have a
garage sale.

I've got a fortune in a 7518-specific router lift, so I need to have a
7518. Otherwise I'd craigslist it and get another type of router.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"David" wrote in message
. ..

I've got a fortune in a 7518-specific router lift, so I need to have a
7518. Otherwise I'd craigslist it and get another type of router.

Dave

Yeah. It should last a life time. I'd replace the switches and give at
least one more try. Fortunately most the big routers now do not require a
separate lift. I almost bought that router in 1989.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

I almost bought that router in 1989.

That router is the reason I got away from PC routers. They were a
mainstay for many years, AAMOF, the only game in town for big horsepower.
When they went to the slightly smaller diameter motor bodies, things
went from bad to worse.
They simply will not last one year under the conditions in my shop.
I get better mileage from Hitachi..