Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default PC7518 speed control problem

"David" wrote in message
Sometimes my 7518 can't control the lowest speed. It spins way too fast
and then slows down to under 500 RPM before speeding up again. I'm trying
to run a panel bit (3-1/4") and need it to turn SLOWLY. The second lowest
speed is consistent, but I want to use the slowest speed.

Anyone know of any tricks to fix this at home? do you know how much the
defective part costs? Is it a logic board or a sensor? I called PC last
year about it and they said they know that model does that, but this is
ridiculous because it'll go FULL speed, which is scary with that large of
a bit on it.

That is apparently an inherent problem with that old router design. I read
a magazine test of most all the big routers. They had the same problem with
this router and got the same answer that you did. Apparently this all
smoothes out when you actually start feeding stock and the circuitry has
something to measure against IIRC.
If the router is still new I would return it and get another model all
together. That router is an old standard but has been IMHO out done by the
competition in the last 2 or 3 years. Milwaukee or Triton would be my
choice. I went with the Triton a couple of years ago after looking at the
big router offerings. Almost got the Milwaukee.