Posted to rec.woodworking
dnoyeB

Default Wood measurements

I bought some 3/4" plywood fir for a shelf in my cabinet. I was looking
for something to high the end bands. The store had lost of pine that
looked abuot right but it was 1/2". So I kept going in circles between
isles trying to find the 3/4" pine to put on the end of this plywood.
After about an hour I decided to just grap the piece that looked right.

Turns out the 1/2" solid wood is the same thickness as the 3/4" plywood.
This wouldn't be the first odd measurement I have found like 3/4 is
really 5/8... What am I missing here?

--
Thank you,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Josh

It sounds to me like the 1/2" wood was mislabeled.

If you're looking for a piece of wood 3/4" thick, you should be buying
1" stock (sometimes called 4/4). They plane off exactly 1/4", leaving
you with 3/4".

Josh

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Josh may be right about the mislabel. But ply's funny like that.
Depending on where it's from (You never said where you purchased it,
but it sounded like the borg), 3/4 is more like 23/32nds, 1/2 is around
15/32nds (or 12 mm, now I'm getting confused). Bring a tape measure in
with you the next time. You'll be surprised at the variables, even from
sheet to sheet, sometimes. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 09:01:38 -0500, dnoyeB
wrote:

I bought some 3/4" plywood fir for a shelf in my cabinet. I was looking
for something to high the end bands. The store had lost of pine that
looked abuot right but it was 1/2". So I kept going in circles between
isles trying to find the 3/4" pine to put on the end of this plywood.
After about an hour I decided to just grap the piece that looked right.

Turns out the 1/2" solid wood is the same thickness as the 3/4" plywood.
This wouldn't be the first odd measurement I have found like 3/4 is
really 5/8... What am I missing here?

It is helpful to carry a measuring tape when shopping for lumber.
Don't believe the tag.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

wrote:

I bought some 3/4" plywood fir for a shelf in my cabinet. I was looking
for something to high the end bands. The store had lost of pine that
looked abuot right but it was 1/2". So I kept going in circles between
isles trying to find the 3/4" pine to put on the end of this plywood.
After about an hour I decided to just grap the piece that looked right.

Turns out the 1/2" solid wood is the same thickness as the 3/4" plywood.
This wouldn't be the first odd measurement I have found like 3/4 is
really 5/8... What am I missing here?

It is helpful to carry a measuring tape when shopping for lumber.
Don't believe the tag.

It is also useful to carry calipers in your pocket. This will give you a
more accurate measurement of thickness.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

Order edge banding from Woodworkers Supply, etc. Sand the edges nicely
and iron it on. It stands up surprisingly well and is easy to repair.
Bugs

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

wrote:

I bought some 3/4" plywood fir for a shelf in my cabinet. I was looking
for something to high the end bands. The store had lost of pine that
looked abuot right but it was 1/2". So I kept going in circles between
isles trying to find the 3/4" pine to put on the end of this plywood.
After about an hour I decided to just grap the piece that looked right.

Turns out the 1/2" solid wood is the same thickness as the 3/4" plywood.
This wouldn't be the first odd measurement I have found like 3/4 is
really 5/8... What am I missing here?

It is helpful to carry a measuring tape when shopping for lumber.
Don't believe the tag.

It is also useful to carry calipers in your pocket. This will give you a
more accurate measurement of thickness.

I'll add: carry your FRACTIONAL calipers to the store. It's kinda a
PITA to convert .237 to 32nds while shopping.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
dnoyeB

Josh wrote:
It sounds to me like the 1/2" wood was mislabeled.

If you're looking for a piece of wood 3/4" thick, you should be buying
1" stock (sometimes called 4/4). They plane off exactly 1/4", leaving
you with 3/4".

Josh

Maybe that was it. I bought 1" wood and it matched the 3/4 plywood.
Just dont know why it was labelled like that. I got it mostly at lowes.

--
Thank you,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , dnoyeB wrote:
Josh wrote:
It sounds to me like the 1/2" wood was mislabeled.

If you're looking for a piece of wood 3/4" thick, you should be buying
1" stock (sometimes called 4/4). They plane off exactly 1/4", leaving
you with 3/4".

Josh

Maybe that was it. I bought 1" wood and it matched the 3/4 plywood.
Just dont know why it was labelled like that. I got it mostly at lowes.

That's because wood is sold by its nominal dimensions, i.e. the dimensions
before drying and surface-planing. If you buy 1-inch (four-quarter) rough-sawn
lumber, you'll get lumber that is actually one inch thick, or pretty close to
it. But when you're buying lumber that's already been surface-planed, nominal
one-inch lumber has been planed down to a thickness of 3/4". The actual
dimensions of a one-by-two are 3/4 by 1-1/2, a two-by-four is 1-1/2 by 3-1/2,
and so on.

--
Regards,