Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

Default Wood measurements

In article , dnoyeB wrote:
Josh wrote:
It sounds to me like the 1/2" wood was mislabeled.

If you're looking for a piece of wood 3/4" thick, you should be buying
1" stock (sometimes called 4/4). They plane off exactly 1/4", leaving
you with 3/4".

Josh

Maybe that was it. I bought 1" wood and it matched the 3/4 plywood.
Just dont know why it was labelled like that. I got it mostly at lowes.

That's because wood is sold by its nominal dimensions, i.e. the dimensions
before drying and surface-planing. If you buy 1-inch (four-quarter) rough-sawn
lumber, you'll get lumber that is actually one inch thick, or pretty close to
it. But when you're buying lumber that's already been surface-planed, nominal
one-inch lumber has been planed down to a thickness of 3/4". The actual
dimensions of a one-by-two are 3/4 by 1-1/2, a two-by-four is 1-1/2 by 3-1/2,
and so on.

--
Regards,