Posted to rec.woodworking
mike

Default Coffin Needs

This may be a bit morbid to some but believe me I am not trying to
offend anyone. Being a wodworker I have decided to build my own coffin
and have it ready when the time comes. Then my kids will not be under
any pressure to purchase something fancy. What I want to build is a
plain old pine box as seen in the old western movies. You know the type
that are narrow at the feet, widen at the hips, then narrow again at
the head end.
My question concerns the thickness of the boards. Would 4/4 pine be OK
or should I go with 5/4? If anyone has any other suggestions I would be
happy to learn them.
TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Rasmussen

Afternoon, Mike...you might want to check out the link below for
suggestions.

http://www.funerals.org/caskets.htm#own

You might want to further check out information from your friendly
funeral director about any restrictions. You also might want to
consider making your wishes known in your will. Otherwise, your
children might not want you to buried in a homemade box.

Good Luck...Bob

--
______________
lvMMMCDLXXIX+1
"mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
This may be a bit morbid to some but believe me I am not trying to
offend anyone. Being a wodworker I have decided to build my own coffin
and have it ready when the time comes. Then my kids will not be under
any pressure to purchase something fancy. What I want to build is a
plain old pine box as seen in the old western movies. You know the type
that are narrow at the feet, widen at the hips, then narrow again at
the head end.
My question concerns the thickness of the boards. Would 4/4 pine be OK
or should I go with 5/4? If anyone has any other suggestions I would be
happy to learn them.
TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:

Nah, just hide a tape recorder in a secret
compartment that is activated by a motion
sensitive switch so when the pall bearers
lift the coffin it starts making fart noises...

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Elfert

"mike" writes:

My question concerns the thickness of the boards. Would 4/4 pine be OK
or should I go with 5/4? If anyone has any other suggestions I would be
happy to learn them.

Our Boy Scout troop has a coffin very much as described for use at
halloween. It is standard 3/4" or 4/4 pine and is strong enough. It has
a cracked board, but that is from years of abuse. A single use of a pine
coffin shouldn't be a problem.

Brian Elfert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message

. A single use of a pine
coffin shouldn't be a problem.

Brian Elfert

Yes, if you plan to re-use it often, go with 5/4 or more.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dhakala

Bob Rasmussen wrote:
Afternoon, Mike...you might want to check out the link below for
suggestions.

http://www.funerals.org/caskets.htm#own

You might want to further check out information from your friendly
funeral director about any restrictions.

Funeral directors will lie their butts off to sell you a $6,000 box.
Check with your local & state public health departments for the minimum
requirements. The cemetery where you plan to be planted may have some
say, too.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
om...

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message

. A single use of a pine
coffin shouldn't be a problem.

Brian Elfert

Yes, if you plan to re-use it often, go with 5/4 or more.

Somehow, I just KNEW you'd be the one to come up with that, Ed!

Beat ME to it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Squarei4dtoolguy

mike wrote:
Being a wodworker I have decided to build my own coffin
and have it ready when the time comes.

I stole a link from JT a while back.

http://www.arkwoodcaskets.com/

A simple build and not really bad looking either.

Tom in KY, My Dad wants to be cremated and placed in an old antique
cookie jar that belonged to my Grandmother. Your question doesn't sound
so morbid to me.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

On 2 Feb 2006 11:37:58 -0800, "mike" wrote:

This may be a bit morbid to some but believe me I am not trying to
offend anyone. Being a wodworker I have decided to build my own coffin
and have it ready when the time comes. Then my kids will not be under
any pressure to purchase something fancy. What I want to build is a
plain old pine box as seen in the old western movies. You know the type
that are narrow at the feet, widen at the hips, then narrow again at
the head end.
My question concerns the thickness of the boards. Would 4/4 pine be OK
or should I go with 5/4? If anyone has any other suggestions I would be
happy to learn them.
TIA

Most woodworkers who build their own coffin make one too large and
heavy. 4/4 should be more than enough, unless you are unusually
large.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob Mitchell

Mike,
Would you post back what you find out, especially regulations, and
dimensions?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Vic Baron" wrote in message

Yes, if you plan to re-use it often, go with 5/4 or more.

Somehow, I just KNEW you'd be the one to come up with that, Ed!

Beat ME to it.

Our local paper used to print little fillers in the ad pages with public
service type announcements. Every week, in the middle of the obituaries they
had a spot to promote recycling. I sent them a letter thanking them for the
idea to use granny's ashes on the compost pile. They never ran that spot
there again.

Someone has to be the smart ass. It's my job.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thank you for posting. I have much the same idea. And it's not
morbid, it's the realities. And it's a good a time as any to have
some fun right to the end.

I was at a furenal for my neighbour. Her casket had the look of
pressed paper/formed MDF/particleboard with a faux finish that was
badly layed on. It was less than impressive at the cost being
charged.

I wouldn't worry too much about the wood variaety or thickness - 3/4"
will be just fine. It'll be a damn sight stronger than 'store
bought'. Just make sure the bottom won't fall out.

I have plans somewhere to build myself a coffin table that will
convert to a real coffin (remove the legs), But I will down size it
for cremation ashes. A funeral home idea of "a container suitable for
creamation" is a cardboard box.

Pete

The only thing wrong with dying, is it's so hard to get up in the
morning.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 2/2/2006 8:45 PM Squarei4dtoolguy mumbled something about the following:
mike wrote:
Being a wodworker I have decided to build my own coffin
and have it ready when the time comes.

I stole a link from JT a while back.

http://www.arkwoodcaskets.com/

A simple build and not really bad looking either.

Tom in KY, My Dad wants to be cremated and placed in an old antique
cookie jar that belonged to my Grandmother. Your question doesn't sound
so morbid to me.

Interesting that it has a PATENTED dovetail design. I'm trying to
figure out what is patentable about their dovetails.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

mike wrote:
Being a wodworker I have decided to build my own coffin
and have it ready when the time comes.

I stole a link from JT a while back.

http://www.arkwoodcaskets.com/

A simple build and not really bad looking either.

Tom in KY, My Dad wants to be cremated and placed in an old antique
cookie jar that belonged to my Grandmother. Your question doesn't sound
so morbid to me.

Interesting that it has a PATENTED dovetail design. I'm trying to
figure out what is patentable about their dovetails.

I found it very unique to use sliding dovetails to enable easy
shipment and/or storage of the sides of the box, yet very strong when
assembled without using metal fasteners.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 2/4/2006 5:27 PM Phisherman mumbled something about the following:

mike wrote:
Being a wodworker I have decided to build my own coffin
and have it ready when the time comes.
I stole a link from JT a while back.

http://www.arkwoodcaskets.com/

A simple build and not really bad looking either.

Tom in KY, My Dad wants to be cremated and placed in an old antique
cookie jar that belonged to my Grandmother. Your question doesn't sound
so morbid to me.

Interesting that it has a PATENTED dovetail design. I'm trying to
figure out what is patentable about their dovetails.

I found it very unique to use sliding dovetails to enable easy
shipment and/or storage of the sides of the box, yet very strong when
assembled without using metal fasteners.

Sliding dovetails have been around for eons, nothing patentable there.
Unique, yes, patentable, no.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
FRANK

Odinn wrote:
On 2/4/2006 9:38 AM Odinn mumbled something about the following:

On 2/3/2006 9:36 PM mumbled something about the following:

The only thing wrong with dying, is it's so hard to get up in the
morning.

But there's enough to sleep when you die.

Damn, that should have said

But there's time enough to sleep when you die.

and it will be the best sleep you ever had

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charley

You don't keep a set of dead batteries to use at times like this?
I always kept a set to pop in whenever the thing started driving me nuts or
when I really needed a full night's sleep.
Pagers were originally intended as a way of leting you know that someone
wanted to talk to you "whenever it was convenient for you". Now, some people
expect it to be a fire alarm and expect you to answer them at any time 24
hours a day. Are you getting paid for 24 hours a day? I think not. Then drop
in the dead batteries and get a good night's sleep, then call them in the
morning and ask if everything is OK, or wait until they're trying to sleep
and page them every half hour all night long to get even.

--
Charley

"Odinn" wrote in message
On 2/5/2006 2:55 PM FRANK mumbled something about the following:
Odinn wrote:
On 2/4/2006 9:38 AM Odinn mumbled something about the following:

On 2/3/2006 9:36 PM mumbled something about the
following:

The only thing wrong with dying, is it's so hard to get up in the
morning.

But there's enough to sleep when you die.

Damn, that should have said

But there's time enough to sleep when you die.

and it will be the best sleep you ever had

Anything has got to be better than the sleep I've been getting lately.
Hasn't a night gone by in the last week that my pager hasn't gone off at
least a half a dozen times during the middle of the night about one of
the servers at work going nuts, or some idiot in the operations center
can't figure out how they got their outlook into the offline mode and it
won't retrieve or send any email.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ...
http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 20:19:44 -0500, Odinn wrote:

Anything has got to be better than the sleep I've been getting lately.

Hasn't a night gone by in the last week that my pager hasn't gone off at
least a half a dozen times during the middle of the night about one of
the servers at work going nuts, or some idiot in the operations center
can't figure out how they got their outlook into the offline mode and it
won't retrieve or send any email.

I used to get office calls for folks that lost their icon for Word in windoz 95
and couldn't work until I came out and "fixed" their computer..

Love that easy money, thank (insert choice) for technopeasents...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Odinn wrote:

Anything has got to be better than the sleep I've been getting lately.
Hasn't a night gone by in the last week that my pager hasn't gone off at
least a half a dozen times during the middle of the night about one of
the servers at work going nuts, or some idiot in the operations center
can't figure out how they got their outlook into the offline mode and it
won't retrieve or send any email.

I'm just guessing here, but shouldn't you be a few levels farther down
(up) the support food-chain?

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 2/6/2006 10:50 AM Charley mumbled something about the following:
You don't keep a set of dead batteries to use at times like this?
I always kept a set to pop in whenever the thing started driving me nuts or
when I really needed a full night's sleep.
Pagers were originally intended as a way of leting you know that someone
wanted to talk to you "whenever it was convenient for you". Now, some people
expect it to be a fire alarm and expect you to answer them at any time 24
hours a day. Are you getting paid for 24 hours a day? I think not. Then drop
in the dead batteries and get a good night's sleep, then call them in the
morning and ask if everything is OK, or wait until they're trying to sleep
and page them every half hour all night long to get even.

We are a 24/7 operation (we host over several thousands of banks online
presence). There are 4 admins in our home office to run the corporate
side that keeps the hosting operation alive, and we rotate the pager
duty. I just happened to have it this past week, and since I'm
salaried, I'm paid to work whenever they need me to work, which is often
times in the middle of the night or weekends. If I don't answer the
pager, it's a good chance I won't have a job the next day.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 2/6/2006 2:52 PM Enoch Root mumbled something about the following:
Odinn wrote:

Anything has got to be better than the sleep I've been getting lately.
Hasn't a night gone by in the last week that my pager hasn't gone off at
least a half a dozen times during the middle of the night about one of
the servers at work going nuts, or some idiot in the operations center
can't figure out how they got their outlook into the offline mode and it
won't retrieve or send any email.

I'm just guessing here, but shouldn't you be a few levels farther down
(up) the support food-chain?

er

See my previous reply to Charley. When on call, you are all the levels
up/down the food chain.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Odinn wrote:

See my previous reply to Charley. When on call, you are all the levels
up/down the food chain.

I think I told my thanksgiving (sysadmin recovery) story here awhile
back. Finally got out and into more of a research environment, which
makes me happy.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 2/7/2006 2:47 AM Enoch Root mumbled something about the following:
Odinn wrote:

See my previous reply to Charley. When on call, you are all the levels
up/down the food chain.

I think I told my thanksgiving (sysadmin recovery) story here awhile
back. Finally got out and into more of a research environment, which
makes me happy.

er

I started here as a software engineer, they downsized and offered me a
position as a sysadmin or go find another job. I was already being paid
at the top of the scale for a developer, way over the top for an admin,
and this was in 2002, so I took the admin position. Here it is now
2006, and I've gotten good pay raises (not great, just good), and now
I'm paid way more than I can find in any admin or development position
around here. The only positions I can find that pay over $100k a year
are management, and there's currently no way I'll go back into
management (not that I look like the management type
http://odinn-frigga.tripod.com/me.jpg ), so I just deal with being the
lead admin, and having to be on call 24/7 for one week out of every 4
(soon to be 5 as we are getting another admin soon).

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
Charley

I was a one man electrical dept/factory rep for a North American
sales/service business (printing industry). My territory was all of North
America, all 50 states, and the Carribean and I had no one else to give my
pager to or to take over for me when I wasn't available, so it was sometimes
necessary to have dead batteries for sanity reasons. If I returned the call
and I couldn't fix their problem over the phone I usually had to be on a
flight within 3 hours. I always had a packed suitcase in the car and never
knew when or where I might be going or when I might be coming back.
Fortunately I was able to fix most problems over the phone, but I sometimes
ended up traveling for up to 3 weeks at a time before returning home. I have
said goodbye to my wife at breakfast and then called her that evening from
half way around the world to say I wouldn't be home for supper (she would
get mad whenever I called from Hawaii because I was there without her). At
least you only have to suffer 1/4 of the time and you get to go home at
night, but I do feel for you. Corporate America has no idea how much stress
this puts on those of us who serve this way (and doesn't care).

--
Charley

Odinn wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Odinn" wrote in message

I started here as a software engineer, they downsized and offered me a
position as a sysadmin or go find another job. I was already being paid
at the top of the scale for a developer, way over the top for an admin,
and this was in 2002, so I took the admin position. Here it is now
2006, and I've gotten good pay raises (not great, just good), and now
I'm paid way more than I can find in any admin or development position
around here. The only positions I can find that pay over $100k a year
are management, and there's currently no way I'll go back into
management (not that I look like the management type
http://odinn-frigga.tripod.com/me.jpg ), so I just deal with being the
lead admin, and having to be on call 24/7 for one week out of every 4
(soon to be 5 as we are getting another admin soon).

Now that's a classic unix mug.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Odinn wrote:

(not that I look like the management type
http://odinn-frigga.tripod.com/me.jpg )

Nice pic, thanks for that.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Tue, Feb 7, 2006, 7:26am (Odinn) did posteth:
snip (not that I look like the management type
http://odinn-frigga.tripod.com/me.jpg ), snip

Damn. I used to think "my" picture looked bad. Never more, never
more. LMAO

JOAT
Don't believe everything you think.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

J T wrote:
Tue, Feb 7, 2006, 7:26am (Odinn) did posteth:
snip (not that I look like the management type
http://odinn-frigga.tripod.com/me.jpg ), snip

Damn. I used to think "my" picture looked bad. Never more, never
more. LMAO

Me I keep seeing him, hair braided on the temples, waving a claymore
about in a crowd of frantic monks.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 2/7/2006 3:59 PM Enoch Root mumbled something about the following:
J T wrote:
Tue, Feb 7, 2006, 7:26am (Odinn) did posteth:
snip (not that I look like the management type
http://odinn-frigga.tripod.com/me.jpg ), snip

Damn. I used to think "my" picture looked bad. Never more, never
more. LMAO

Me I keep seeing him, hair braided on the temples, waving a claymore
about in a crowd of frantic monks.

er

How about this pic?
http://odinn-frigga.tripod.com/scoot/me.jpg

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Odinn
wrote:

How about this pic?
http://odinn-frigga.tripod.com/scoot/me.jpg

That one looks like my little brother...

;-D

--
Boycott Google for their support of communist censorship and repression!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 2/7/2006 11:34 PM Dave Balderstone mumbled something about the following:
In article , Odinn
wrote:

How about this pic?
http://odinn-frigga.tripod.com/scoot/me.jpg

That one looks like my little brother...

;-D

Yer little brother stand 6'0", weigh in at 240 lbs, and have a last name
of Sloan?

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 2/7/2006 1:26 PM Mike Marlow mumbled something about the following:
"Odinn" wrote in message

I started here as a software engineer, they downsized and offered me a
position as a sysadmin or go find another job. I was already being paid
at the top of the scale for a developer, way over the top for an admin,
and this was in 2002, so I took the admin position. Here it is now
2006, and I've gotten good pay raises (not great, just good), and now
I'm paid way more than I can find in any admin or development position
around here. The only positions I can find that pay over $100k a year
are management, and there's currently no way I'll go back into
management (not that I look like the management type
http://odinn-frigga.tripod.com/me.jpg ), so I just deal with being the
lead admin, and having to be on call 24/7 for one week out of every 4
(soon to be 5 as we are getting another admin soon).

Now that's a classic unix mug.

Unfortunately, I'm forced into a Windows world. I still manage about
20+ AIX servers, about 10 HP servers and about another 20 linux servers,
and 150+ Windows servers. Although, my unix counts will go up after we
consolidate 2 of our offices later this month, 50+ Solaris and AIX
servers. At least I don't have to manage the Exchange or AV or spyware
or backups, those are handled by the other admins.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Enoch Root" wrote in message

Me I keep seeing him, hair braided on the temples, waving a claymore
about in a crowd of frantic monks.

Just an aside, but thanks to you (and the Internet), a nagging mystery of
longstanding is solved. Some 45 years after first reading Scott, then again
a few months ago (A Legend of Montrose), I finally got the opportunity this
morning to get off my butt, DAGS, and see exactly what the hell a "claymore"
is:

http://www.armor.com/2000/catalog/item100.html

.... I am most likely the only coonass in history who is now properly
informed in that regard.

Thanks.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 2/8/2006 7:16 AM Swingman mumbled something about the following:
"Enoch Root" wrote in message

Me I keep seeing him, hair braided on the temples, waving a claymore
about in a crowd of frantic monks.

Just an aside, but thanks to you (and the Internet), a nagging mystery of
longstanding is solved. Some 45 years after first reading Scott, then again
a few months ago (A Legend of Montrose), I finally got the opportunity this
morning to get off my butt, DAGS, and see exactly what the hell a "claymore"
is:

http://www.armor.com/2000/catalog/item100.html

.... I am most likely the only coonass in history who is now properly
informed in that regard.

Thanks.

Okay, yer the only coonass and I'm the only redneck now.