Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

Default Blade cleaning/when to sharpen

The other thread about blade cleaners got me thinking. I've got a thin
kerf ww2 that is showing its age. It gets light use. I've never
cleaned it before. The teeth look good and the cut is still ok. But
it doesn't feel like it used to, seems like it takes more force to get
something through the blade. At what point should I sharpen this
blade? Will I notice a huge difference after cleaning or is cleaning
really only if you do a lot of cutting in woods with a high resin
content? thanks.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

brianlanning wrote:

The other thread about blade cleaners got me thinking. I've got a thin
kerf ww2 that is showing its age. It gets light use. I've never
cleaned it before. The teeth look good and the cut is still ok. But
it doesn't feel like it used to, seems like it takes more force to get
something through the blade. At what point should I sharpen this
blade? Will I notice a huge difference after cleaning or is cleaning
really only if you do a lot of cutting in woods with a high resin
content? thanks.

brian

sharpen when it won't scratch your fingernails.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

On 2 Feb 2006 09:18:43 -0800, "brianlanning"
wrote:

The other thread about blade cleaners got me thinking. I've got a thin
kerf ww2 that is showing its age. It gets light use. I've never
cleaned it before. The teeth look good and the cut is still ok. But
it doesn't feel like it used to, seems like it takes more force to get
something through the blade. At what point should I sharpen this
blade? Will I notice a huge difference after cleaning or is cleaning
really only if you do a lot of cutting in woods with a high resin
content? thanks.

brian

If the cut is furry that's an indication your blade is dull. Cleaning
the blade once in awhile helps too--all woods have resins so
eventually there will be a buildup. Blade cleaning is an easy 10
minute job, so I do it once every month or two. It's also a good time
to inspect the blade (use magnification).
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"brianlanning" wrote in message
oups.com...
The other thread about blade cleaners got me thinking. I've got a thin
kerf ww2 that is showing its age. It gets light use. I've never
cleaned it before. The teeth look good and the cut is still ok. But
it doesn't feel like it used to, seems like it takes more force to get
something through the blade. At what point should I sharpen this
blade? Will I notice a huge difference after cleaning or is cleaning
really only if you do a lot of cutting in woods with a high resin
content? thanks.

CLEAN the blade. ;~) It does make a lot of difference. I have my WWII
resharpened ONLY by Forrest every couple of years. I have 2 and keep one as
a spare while the other is being resharpened. If you see a performance
drop AFTER cleaning, have it resharpened. You should be able to have a
Forrest resharpened 10 -15 times if you do not go too long between
sharpening.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dnoyeB

Phisherman wrote:

If the cut is furry that's an indication your blade is dull. Cleaning
the blade once in awhile helps too--all woods have resins so
eventually there will be a buildup. Blade cleaning is an easy 10
minute job, so I do it once every month or two. It's also a good time
to inspect the blade (use magnification).

ROFL. There's always that one post every so often that makes me feel 16
again

--
Thank you,

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Leon wrote:

[...]

what are they charging now, and how much for shipping to/fro, Leon?

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

The local woodcraft guy said that they have someone come in to sharpen
once a week and that he was "certified to sharpen the forrest blades".
Certified by forrest?

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"brianlanning" wrote in message
oups.com...
The local woodcraft guy said that they have someone come in to sharpen
once a week and that he was "certified to sharpen the forrest blades".
Certified by forrest?

I have a local service that also does a bang up job of sharpening. Or so I
use to think. Forrest will also if needed reflatten your blade and that is
very important if your blade is not running true. Many local sharpeners
simply sharpen. I let my local guy use his computer controlled sharpening
machines sharpen with 600 grit and I was disappointed. 2 weeks later the
blade went back to Forrest. The local sharpener did a good job sharpening
but Forrest reflattened it the blade was like new again.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"David" wrote in message

what are they charging now, and how much for shipping to/fro, Leon?

I do not recall Dave but I think I spent close to $40 to resharpen,
reflatten, and test cut and S&H. IMHO having a blade that cuts like new,
burnished cross cuts, shiny smooth rips with no trace of tooth marks is well
worth the money.
If you take a look here you can see what it will take for your blade.

http://www.forrestblades.com/sharpprice.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

Leon wrote:
"David" wrote in message
what are they charging now, and how much for shipping to/fro, Leon?

I do not recall Dave but I think I spent close to $40 to resharpen,
reflatten, and test cut and S&H. IMHO having a blade that cuts like new,

My experience has shown that resharpened Forrest blades seem to cut
better than new Forrest blades.

I don't know why, but they do.

Barry