Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

Default Blade cleaning/when to sharpen

On 2 Feb 2006 09:18:43 -0800, "brianlanning"
wrote:

The other thread about blade cleaners got me thinking. I've got a thin
kerf ww2 that is showing its age. It gets light use. I've never
cleaned it before. The teeth look good and the cut is still ok. But
it doesn't feel like it used to, seems like it takes more force to get
something through the blade. At what point should I sharpen this
blade? Will I notice a huge difference after cleaning or is cleaning
really only if you do a lot of cutting in woods with a high resin
content? thanks.

brian

If the cut is furry that's an indication your blade is dull. Cleaning
the blade once in awhile helps too--all woods have resins so
eventually there will be a buildup. Blade cleaning is an easy 10
minute job, so I do it once every month or two. It's also a good time
to inspect the blade (use magnification).