Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default Blade cleaning/when to sharpen

"brianlanning" wrote in message
oups.com...
The other thread about blade cleaners got me thinking. I've got a thin
kerf ww2 that is showing its age. It gets light use. I've never
cleaned it before. The teeth look good and the cut is still ok. But
it doesn't feel like it used to, seems like it takes more force to get
something through the blade. At what point should I sharpen this
blade? Will I notice a huge difference after cleaning or is cleaning
really only if you do a lot of cutting in woods with a high resin
content? thanks.

CLEAN the blade. ;~) It does make a lot of difference. I have my WWII
resharpened ONLY by Forrest every couple of years. I have 2 and keep one as
a spare while the other is being resharpened. If you see a performance
drop AFTER cleaning, have it resharpened. You should be able to have a
Forrest resharpened 10 -15 times if you do not go too long between
sharpening.