Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug

Default Special air inlet needed for Compressor?

I'm building a new woodworking shop (26' x 26') and framing is
complete. I plan to install an air compressor (2 - 3 hp with an 80
gallon tank) and would like to know if I should plan a special air
intake that draws outside air (I'm in Ontario Canada) into the
compressor or should I simply use the air in the shop as the "feed" for
the compressor? If I go with an outside air feed, what size of inlet
should I provide?
Thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Searcher

I would not use outside air, reason being is that when it is raining or
humid outside you are drawing that moisture laden air into the compressor. I
am not saying that the air in the garage or shop would be much better, but
in my opinion it would be more suitable to just use shop air. My compressor
(Ingersol Rand) draws air from inside the garage. You want the air as
moisture and contaminant free as possible.

Searcher

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm building a new woodworking shop (26' x 26') and framing is
complete. I plan to install an air compressor (2 - 3 hp with an 80
gallon tank) and would like to know if I should plan a special air
intake that draws outside air (I'm in Ontario Canada) into the
compressor or should I simply use the air in the shop as the "feed" for
the compressor? If I go with an outside air feed, what size of inlet
should I provide?
Thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

No need for outside air.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm building a new woodworking shop (26' x 26') and framing is
complete. I plan to install an air compressor (2 - 3 hp with an 80
gallon tank) and would like to know if I should plan a special air
intake that draws outside air (I'm in Ontario Canada) into the
compressor or should I simply use the air in the shop as the "feed" for
the compressor? If I go with an outside air feed, what size of inlet
should I provide?
Thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Two schools of thought.
One, outside air will be quieter and the outside air will help keep the
compressor cool.
Also, the air being compressed has to come from somewhere. If it comes from
inside, the shop will have air leaks bringing in other contaminates.

Inside air usually is lower humidity than outside and the you generate less
water in the system.

I personally like having my compressor outside, under a shed roof. Plenty
of shade and air circulation for cooling. My system for condensation
removal is simple. I ran some 1" iron pipe up and down the outside (West
facing) wall of my shop. Each section has a drip leg and a valve to drain
condensation. This in addition to a automatic tank drain and one filter,
provides me with clean dry air.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
j.b. miller

Just use the inside air but I'd recommend using extra large,fine filters to
minimize sucking dust in....

Greensville Jay

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Teamcasa" wrote in message

I personally like having my compressor outside, under a shed roof. Plenty
of shade and air circulation for cooling. My system for condensation
removal is simple. I ran some 1" iron pipe up and down the outside (West
facing) wall of my shop. Each section has a drip leg and a valve to drain
condensation. This in addition to a automatic tank drain and one filter,
provides me with clean dry air.

What do you have for an automatic tank drain Dave?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Teamcasa"
I personally like having my compressor outside, under a shed roof.
Plenty
of shade and air circulation for cooling. My system for condensation
removal is simple. I ran some 1" iron pipe up and down the outside (West
facing) wall of my shop. Each section has a drip leg and a valve to
drain
condensation. This in addition to a automatic tank drain and one filter,
provides me with clean dry air.

"Mike Marlow"

What do you have for an automatic tank drain Dave?

Mike, Its a system I adapted from one of my shop's Champion Compressor.
It's a timed system that looks like the Speedaire system.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank K.

Go to http://www.harborfreight.com/ and do a search for
compressor drain. I have the $10.00 one and it has been
working fine for three years.

Frank

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"Teamcasa" wrote in message

I personally like having my compressor outside, under a
shed roof. Plenty
of shade and air circulation for cooling. My system for
condensation
removal is simple. I ran some 1" iron pipe up and down
the outside (West
facing) wall of my shop. Each section has a drip leg and
a valve to drain
condensation. This in addition to a automatic tank drain
and one filter,
provides me with clean dry air.

What do you have for an automatic tank drain Dave?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Frank K." wrote in message

Go to http://www.harborfreight.com/ and do a search for
compressor drain. I have the $10.00 one and it has been
working fine for three years.

Yeah - I'm famiar with the HF system, I was just wondering what Dave used.
I need to put a Harbor Freight drain on my compressor, but I just haven't
gotten a round tuit. One of these trips down there, I'll actually remember
to pick it up.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

The air being compressed also has to be used somewhere. If it comes
from inside the shop and is consumed in the shop there will be no "air
leaks"

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

wrote in message
oups.com...
The air being compressed also has to be used somewhere. If it comes
from inside the shop and is consumed in the shop there will be no "air
leaks"

As long as you use the same amount of incoming air at the same time as you
are compressing it. Not likely.