donald girod

Default help needed: washing machine doesn't empty completely - is this normal?

My first Kenmore washer did this, and I ended up putting it on the curb (the
dryer is still running, 1972). This behavior is definitely not normal.

I never did determine the cause (I replaced the pump and did some other
stuff) but I suspect it had to do with rust starting to block the holes in
the drum. My symptoms were somewhat different but basically failure to pump
out properly in spite of a good pump. I agree that something is obstructing
the path to the pump inlet, but I'm not sure exactly what that looks like.
If you could get the drum out you would know a lot more.

Of course, something under the drum, unlikely though it seems, would
probably cause some sort of obstruction.

I guess this isn't helping a whole lot, because I don't know how to pull the
drum. As far as rotation of the nut is concerned, however, it would unscrew
in the same direction as the drum rotates. If the drum turns clockwise as
you look down on it, then the nut is left-handed. This is so that as the
shaft turns the drum it tightens the nut.

A pipe wrench and hammer is not a real good nut-pulling tool--too much
slack. There is probably a special wrench they use.

Maybe some other poster will know more.

"Barrett Nicholas" wrote in message
m...
In trying to track down a musty smell in my laundry room, I've
disassembled my Kenmore 90 series washer looking to see if maybe a
washcloth or something had made it's way between the tub and drum.
I've pulled the agitator, nothing under it, the space between the drum
and tub looks clear (maybe there's something small up under the drum
at the bottom, but that seems unlikely). One reason I suspect the
washer is that my wife was looking for the smell, and when moving the
washer, accidently pulled loose the drain hose at the bottom - water
gushed out, and it smelled. When I run the washer through it's cycles,
it pumps the tub empty, but then once the cycle's over and the drum
stops spinning, enough water drains down from the drum into the tub to
fill it about 1/2" deep. The tub's deep enough that it doesn't get
anything wet, (the drum sits higher than that) but that seems to be
the source of the water. It seems odd to me that there's that much
water that drains down afterwards, I can see where it could get musty.
I can't figure out how or where the water's being held up in the drum
- obviously centrifugal force is a part of this, but is this much
water noraml? Maybe there's some part of the drum where there's a
drain hole(s) blocked where this water would normally make it's way to
the tub and be pumped out during the cycle? I can't get the drum out
(large nut that looks like it holds it on refuses to budge - large,
flat faced, with four indents along the outer edge at 90 degree
angles. Pipe wrench and hammer didn't do it, didn't want to break
anything. It's not clear to me exactly that it's simply a threaded
nut, the piece it threads over has a couple of tangs and cutouts that
might be part of something I don't get. It could also be left-hand
thread, but I tried it that direction as well without any luck).

In any event, I can't get it loose, and it may just be working as
designed. Can anyone tell me for sure, is this much water left over
after a spin cycle normal?

Thanks

Barrett

jeff

(Barrett Nicholas) wrote in message om...
[...]

Hi,

A primed pump like in a washing machine must be full of water all the
time, the pumps hoses as well, -some- water in the outer holding tank
at the pumps entrance port can be normal as well.
If the drain hose is very long or too high some of the water can flow
back from the drain hose into the washer when the washer shuts off.

The tub spanner tub nut needs a spanner tool to remove the
nut....*some* may come off with a large flat screwdriver and hammer.

Some washer smell helps...
http://www.applianceaid.com/washer_odor.html

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid