Posted to rec.woodworking
Searcher

Default Freud blade question:

I can buy a Freud blade for about 21 US$ new, this is a general purpose thin
kerf blade, what benefit would I get from this blade? It would be going on
my table saw which still has the original blade and is about 1 year old, I
am not having any problems right now BUT, I am thinking maybe a nice new
Freud would be a great addition to it.

Searcher

Posted to rec.woodworking
Josh

The thin kerf is often nice if you're not ripping large boards. I find
that a nice thin-kerf crosscut blade (at least 60 teeth) makes a world
of difference as compared to the (likely) combination blade that came
with your saw. I don't think you can get one for $21, though.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O.

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 02:29:58 GMT, "Searcher"
wrote:

I can buy a Freud blade for about 21 US$ new, this is a general purpose thin
kerf blade, what benefit would I get from this blade? It would be going on
my table saw which still has the original blade and is about 1 year old, I
am not having any problems right now BUT, I am thinking maybe a nice new
Freud would be a great addition to it.

Probably a decent general purpose blade but I find the thin kerf
Freuds to have a little more flex than I like.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Searcher

I was holding it in my hot little hands a while ago at Lowes, last one at
21.97! 40t and it says general purpose. I have (and no comments, I got it
cheap because I worked there for awhile) I have a Craftsman 10" table saw,
it was one of the best they had last year , with cast iron table and wings
and a halfway decent fence. Its been sturdy and very accurate, I set up and
squared the blade when I got it and she's still holding true. I make small
things like shelves and bird houses, small pieces of furniture such as end
tables, But I am progressing, I want to learn to make drawers without
buying tracks!? That way I can eventually make our bedroom furniture. My
wife want that log style furniture, I think ( I said I THINK) I can handle
that. But anyway back to the blade, is this a good blade for me or is there
something else that you guys would suggest, without say spending $50.

Searcher

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

But anyway back to the blade, is this a good blade for me or is there
something else that you guys would suggest, without say spending $50.

I think it would be an improvement. I also think a lot of people on
this group would recommend a far nicer blade like a more premium Freud
or a Forrest Woodworker II blade, which are around $100, but worth
every penny from what I've heard and read.
I have a thin-kerf Freud Diablo general-purpose blade for my handheld
circular saw, and it makes smoother cuts with less effort than my basic
general-purpose Craftsman carbide blade. I'd be willing to bet you'll
notice an improvement in smoothness of your cut if you get this blade.
Definitely worth $22 in my opinion.
Let us know if you get it and if you notice a difference.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Searcher" wrote in message
I have a Craftsman 10" table saw, it was one of the best they had last year
, with cast iron table and wings and a halfway decent fence. Its been
sturdy and very accurate,

is this a good blade for me or is there something else that you guys
would suggest, without say spending $50.

It is an OK blade, but far from the best. Yes, there is a difference when
you get to the $50 to $100 blades. You have one of the "best" saws they had
so spend a few extra dollars and get a suitable blade for it. Smoother cuts
is one big difference. If you owned a Ferrari, would you put the $1 spark
plugs in it because Pep Boys had them on sale? Why compromise performance?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Searcher" wrote in message
I can buy a Freud blade for about 21 US$ new, this is a general purpose
thin kerf blade, what benefit would I get from this blade? It would be
going on my table saw which still has the original blade and is about 1
year old, I am not having any problems right now BUT, I am thinking maybe a
nice new Freud would be a great addition to it.

Searcher

Not sure what you are looking for in a replacement blade but it would make a
good one for rough carpentry. It'll cut fast but the results will never
compare to those of a quality regular kerf blade. It will flex on you to
some degree and your cuts will not be as flat as with a regular kerf blade.
If you are building furniture and using at least a contractor grade saw I
would save up for a good blade that will last you.
Seriously I normally recommend a Forrest WWII 40 tooth regular kerf for fine
woodworking rips, cross cuts, and compound miters.
If money is an issue, the Systematic regular kerf combo is also a good blade
for about $60.

Posted to rec.woodworking

For that price, it'd almost certainly be an excellent utility blade.
One to provide lots of practice, practice, practice. While you figure
out your needs for more expensive specialized blades. (Jim Tolpin gives
a good picture of application of the variety of blades in one of his
books.)

If it's better than that, better yet for you. I'd grab it in a
heartbeat at that price.