Posted to rec.woodworking
SBO

Default Yellow birch drying

Hi,

I have boards of yellow birch in my basement. The humidity of the wood is
11%. Is it too soon to use it?

(The basement's temperature is 23 degrees celcius and humidity about 52%. In
the past, I was able to drop the humidity to 7% in these conditions but it
will take about two months. I plan to use it for a floor on the first
level).

Thank you.

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Not too soon. Go! Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"SBO" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I have boards of yellow birch in my basement. The humidity of the wood is
11%. Is it too soon to use it?

(The basement's temperature is 23 degrees celcius and humidity about 52%.
In the past, I was able to drop the humidity to 7% in these conditions but
it will take about two months. I plan to use it for a floor on the first
level).

Relative humidity of 52% translates to ten per cent moisture. Sounds like
you're there, given that it's cooler near the bottom.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/us.../chapter01.pdf Get the tables
and post 'em right beside the hygrometer.

Been a warm winter here, so the outside air has more available moisture. In
a more normal year, my stack goes to 4%.