Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default Some omnijig through dovetail questions

I am working on my first through dovetails with my 7216, and have a few
questions:

1) It says that 3/4" dovetails are for stock "up to 13/16" thick", and 1/2"
"with 1/2" thick stock".
The phasing would seem to say that the 1/2" is only for 1/2" stock, not "up
to" 1/2" stock. That doesn't make a lot of sense; did they just word it
poorly, is must the 1/2" only be used on 1/2" stock. I have 7/16" stock;
can I use either, or just the 3/4"?

2) The 1/2" dovetail uses a 9/16" straight bit and a 5/8" OD bearing. To
get the bearing on the jig, I have to make a really long pin. I can sand it
down after assembly, but it obviously isn't right. I guess I have to get a
shorter 9/16" bit? How long is the one PC recommends?

3) I cut my first pair (with really long pins...) and it was way too loose.
I stuck another washer in and it was a tad tight. Now I will crank the nut
in a hair and it should be just right; is that the idea?

TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Toller" wrote in message
I am working on my first through dovetails with my 7216, and have a few
questions:

1) It says that 3/4" dovetails are for stock "up to 13/16" thick", and
1/2" "with 1/2" thick stock".
The phasing would seem to say that the 1/2" is only for 1/2" stock, not
"up to" 1/2" stock. That doesn't make a lot of sense; did they just word
it poorly, is must the 1/2" only be used on 1/2" stock. I have 7/16"
stock; can I use either, or just the 3/4"?

It could be that the 1/2" bit on thinner stock would remove too much wood.
Try it out on your thinner stock "scrap" and every thing may become quite
clear.