Jay Chan

Default Need Dovetail Jig That Can Do Half-Blind and Through-Dovetails

I am looking for a dovetail jig that can do both half-blind-dovetails
or through-dovetails.

The 12" Porter-Cable dovetail jig looks very nice, and seems to be
able to do everything. But it costs $110.

The 12" JET dovetail jig is priced very reasonable. But its product
description says that it handles half-blind-dovetails; I assume this
means it cannot handle through-dovetails.

The 12" Central Machine dovetail jig in Harbor Freight is priced very
very low ($30). But it seems to be able to cut half-bind-dovetails
just like the JET. Moreover, its template seems to be black. According
to some messages in this newsgroup, I should avoid the one from Harbor
Freight that has black template because it is made from plastic.

Another 12" dovetail jig in Harbor Freight is also priced quite
reasonable ($46). It claims that it can handle half-blind-dovetails
and standard-dovetails (I assume this means through-dovetails). This
is good. But it says that it only comes with one template. I am
wondering how I can cut both half-blind and through-dovetails with one
template. May be I am not understanding this correctly. Currently,
this one is the most promising for me. Does anyone use this particular
model? You can see it he

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan
DarylRos

I am looking for a dovetail jig that can do both half-blind-dovetails
or through-dovetails.

The 12" Porter-Cable dovetail jig looks very nice, and seems to be
able to do everything. But it costs $110. BRBR

If you don't want to spend more than $110, then you had better do them by hand.
None of the imports do through dovetails. Like everything elde, you get what
you pay for. You want good through dovetails by jig? Leigh, Keller, PC Omnijig.
There are no shortcuts.
Toller

I bought that one on sale for $25. It is strictly half-blind. Sorry.
I think it is identical to the other one, but with the router bits.

Tom

The 12" Central Machine dovetail jig in Harbor Freight is priced very
very low ($30). But it seems to be able to cut half-bind-dovetails
just like the JET. Moreover, its template seems to be black. According
to some messages in this newsgroup, I should avoid the one from Harbor
Freight that has black template because it is made from plastic.

I bought this jig and if does come with the aluminum template (I
called first to be sure). Haven't had time to try it yet.

Mike at American Sycamore

(Jay Chan) wrote in message . com...
[...]

buy once...cry once..."ain't no secrets"...."ain't no short
cuts"......Buy or team up with a buddy and buy a leigh....anything
less could be a waste of time and effort and will end up in
frustration

I know that the Leigh is expensive and is a hugh investment if you do
not cut lot of dovetails, but it is the most well around good jig.
Perhaps you could sell a couple of dovetailed blanket chest and help
pay for the jig. Good luck.....
Mike from American Sycamore
Good luck
Jay Chan

I bought that one on sale for $25. It is strictly half-blind. Sorry.
I think it is identical to the other one, but with the router bits.

Sorry to hear the bad news. Sound like their "standard dovetails" mean
the same as "half-blind dovetails".

Jay Chan
Jay Chan

If you don't want to spend more than $110, then you had better do them
by hand. None of the imports do through dovetails. Like everything elde,
you get what you pay for. You want good through dovetails by jig? Leigh,
Keller, PC Omnijig. There are no shortcuts.

Seem like Porter-Cable dovetail jig is in my future waiting for me.
Actually, I can get $25 off from Amazon.com with some other purchases.
Therefore, the final cash outflow will not be that bad afterall.

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Keller is capable of box joints also, just didn't mention that as
subject was DTs. Need different bit if memory serves. I've used the
Keller for wood wider than the jig by careful matching/clamping.

On 4 Apr 2004 11:18:39 -0700, (Jay Chan) wrote:

I have checked the $110 version of dovetail jig from Porter-Cable.
Turns out it only can cut half-blind dovetails and box joints, not
through dovetails as what I originally believed.

Jay Chan

Keller I got came with the 2 bits and IIRC was ~$135.00.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have checked it out from their web site, and find that the one from
Keller is probably the cheapest one that I can find so far that can
cut "through-dovetails". Although it cannot cut half-blind dovetail, I
can get around this by getting the cheapest one from Harbor Freight
that can do just that (and only that), or cut "through-dovetails" for
drawers and put a false front cover to the drawers to simulate the
look of a half-blind dovetails (as suggested in Keller's web site). I
probably get Keller for now and worry about getting the one from
Harbor Freight (for half-blind dovetails) later when I really need it.

I have checked the $110 version of dovetail jig from Porter-Cable.
Turns out it only can cut half-blind dovetails and box joints, not
through dovetails as what I originally believed. The one that can do
both through-dovetails and half-blind dovetails is a different model
called "Omnijig Dovetail Machine" from Porter-Cable, and I would need
to buy the template for cutting through dovetails separately. And the
total price would have been way over my budget.

Thanks again for the suggestion of looking into the one from Keller.

Jay Chan

Put things on sale or sell anything?

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 09:45:28 -0700, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

But I never bought a tool from Sears that wasn't on sale :-). I
guess they don't do that as much as they used to.

Jay Chan

Need different bit if memory serves. I've used the
Keller for wood wider than the jig by careful matching/clamping.

I have seen the one that is supposed to be for 15" long joint. 15"
joint should be more than enough for me.

Thanks.

Jay Chan
Jay Chan

I was hoping someone else would bring this up, because I know
I'll get flamed by the tool purists :-). But Sears has a jig
that will cut both through and half-blind dovetails and, with an
optional template, box joints as well.

Nice to hear this. I will check it out if the price is right.

BTW, my table saw is a Craftsman.

I just looked up the Sears jig and two box joint templates now
come with it. But the price is up to $199, which is higher than
I remember (and higher than the Keller).

This seems to be even higher than the one from Keller (on sales for
$130). Oh well... Thanks anyway.

Jay Chan

Rick

porter cable jig is 89$ at HD in new hampshire

"Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day,fritter and waste the
hours in an offhand way......"
Wyatt

(Jay Chan) wrote in message news
I am looking for a dovetail jig that can do both half-blind-dovetails
or through-dovetails.

SNIP

buy once...cry once..."ain't no secrets"...."ain't no short
cuts"......Buy or team up with a buddy and buy a leigh....anything
less could be a waste of time and effort and will end up in
frustration

I know that the Leigh is expensive and is a hugh investment if you do
not cut lot of dovetails, but it is the most well around good jig.
Perhaps you could sell a couple of dovetailed blanket chest and help
pay for the jig. Good luck.....
Mike from American Sycamore
Good luck

So I am new here (been lurking for a while) been around woodworking my
whole life. As a young and aspiring woodworker I have found two things
true that don't get much attention.
1. Woodworking is really expensive. Sorry but anyone suggesting there
is no valid alternative to the leigh does not understand this, you
have to be planning a lot of dovetails to warrant that jig. Sometimes
I think for us younger folks we have to take the risk of not buying
the best tool on the market. It may not work quite as well. But in my
experience, with patience even mediocre tools can produce excellent
quality results.
I have the aluminum HF dovetail jig. It ain't great and doesn't do a
lot of fancy cuts. But when it is set up properly I can produce
drawers in about 5 mins for all 4 corners, tight and square. At this
point if I had bought a leigh and later found out how well the $25
dollar one worked I would have kicked myself. I just did not need $400
in dovetail jig. Now, at some point in my life I may want the features
of the leigh but for now I have served my purpose I made straight
beautiful drawers.
2. Used tools don't get brought up much here. This is a little more
difficult with DT jigs but with a lot of things a little patience and
garagesaling will find some great deals. For that matter you never
know, you might find a leigh someone bought thinking they needed but
never used.
My one disclaimer, all of this said. Nothing will make me go back to
my garage sale special craftsman router now that I have a PC895. When
I started the Craftsman worked, now I have upgraded. If I could find a
PC, Dewalt, bosch at a garage sale I would buy it in a second, just no
more craftsman.
Tom Kohlman

You are "kinda right"...most of us learn the hard way that when it comes to
the basic tools it is cheaper in the long-run to spend the extra $$$ and get
good ones (e.g. a PC router vs the Crapsman as you state...sure you'll agree
that there is much more going on there than the color g). After the
basics it comes down to how much you are going to use it, how much time it
takes to fiddle with it and what your tolerance is. Better tools will yield
better results most of the time but sometimes it simply doesn't matter. I
personally cannot get a "perfect anything" from my collection of mid-priced
Delta/PC/Dewalt tools but funny thing about wood is its modesty. When I am
done, I seem to be the only one that knows where the flaws are.

"Wyatt" wrote in message
om...
[...]

brocpuffs

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 23:57:32 GMT, "Tom Kohlman"
wrote:

snip

personally cannot get a "perfect anything" from my collection of mid-priced
Delta/PC/Dewalt tools but funny thing about wood is its modesty. When I am
done, I seem to be the only one that knows where the flaws are.

Tom, this has to be the Quote of the Year!

Thanks :-)

James

Tom Kohlman

If you mean it, then you are quite welcome! I meant every word of it. If I
could figure out how to work the digital camera I would post a few pix of my
recent projects and explain what I am talking about. Minor flaws in all of
them but nobody seems to notice and as time passes I even forget where they
are. Gets back to something I learned about a million years ago...the
difference between a good carpenter and a bad one is that the former knows
how to hide his/her mistakes.

Now if on the other hand you are being sarcastic (hard to believe on this
NG), then I'll suggest you go back to your shop and work on getting that
nickle to stand on edge with the machine running. If you are in that group
then whatever you do don't cut any wood on it...it may get some saw dust on
it and you'll spend your days posting here about how to remove it g

"brocpuffs" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 23:57:32 GMT, "Tom Kohlman"
wrote:

snip

personally cannot get a "perfect anything" from my collection of

mid-priced
Delta/PC/Dewalt tools but funny thing about wood is its modesty. When I

am
done, I seem to be the only one that knows where the flaws are.

Tom, this has to be the Quote of the Year!

Thanks :-)

James

brocpuffs

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 01:50:56 GMT, "Tom Kohlman"
wrote:

If you mean it, then you are quite welcome! I meant every word of it. If I

Tom, whoops, sorry!!

I DID mean it. I have enuf experience to know how every completed
project is a mass of errors, yet everybody ELSE thinks its lovely!

:-) :-)

This above is serious, man :-)\\James