toller

Default Omnijig through dovetail help needed

I cut my first through dovetails today, and have someproblems.

1) They are a bit tight on the inside and required a hammer to assemble.
(Yes, I know to move the template in a bit to loosen) However, on the
outside there is a gap that I can get my finger nail into without any
trouble. Is this normal? If not, all I can figure is that the dovetail bit
is slightly less than 14 degrees. Any other thoughts? (Yes, I tried it
again with the same results)

2) Cutting the pins requires removing a lot of wood with a small bit. Is
there a practical alternative, like routing the outline and cutting the rest
away with a saw?

Thanks.

toller wrote:
I cut my first through dovetails today, and have someproblems.

1) They are a bit tight on the inside and required a hammer to

assemble.
(Yes, I know to move the template in a bit to loosen) However, on

the
outside there is a gap that I can get my finger nail into without any

trouble. Is this normal? If not, all I can figure is that the

dovetail bit
is slightly less than 14 degrees. Any other thoughts? (Yes, I tried

it
again with the same results)

2) Cutting the pins requires removing a lot of wood with a small bit.

Is
there a practical alternative, like routing the outline and cutting

the rest
away with a saw?

Thanks.

Sounds like your router bit and template guide is not perfectly
centered in the router. I use a "know Bit" from WoodCraft to center
everything up. Yes you can use a larger straight bit and a larger
template guide and waste some material out.
Good luck
Mike from American Sycamore

toller

Sounds like your router bit and template guide is not perfectly
centered in the router. I use a "know Bit" from WoodCraft to center
everything up.

As long as I don't rotate the router I can't see why being off center would
matter. What it cuts too thin on one side it will cut too thick on the
other. Am I missing something?
Thanks.