Posted to rec.woodworking
dustybasemt

Default Panoply corp as source for plywood?

Has Anyone ordered plywood from a company called Panoply
(http://www.panoplycorp.com/)? I am interested in their cherry ply
which has a good price ($79 for a 4x8x3/4 sheet) but I am curious about
quality and shipping costs. I am going to call them about the shipping
but if anyone has gotten some product and could comment on quality and
service I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks in advance.
-D

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"dustybasemt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has Anyone ordered plywood from a company called Panoply
(http://www.panoplycorp.com/)? I am interested in their cherry ply
which has a good price ($79 for a 4x8x3/4 sheet) but I am curious about
quality and shipping costs. I am going to call them about the shipping
but if anyone has gotten some product and could comment on quality and
service I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks in advance.
-D

Shipping would most like be by common carrier freight and probably the same
price for 10+ sheets as 1. Typically there is a minimum charge for freight
and it is probably more than the cost of 1 sheet of plywood. You might wont
to consider "loading up". I would however, be interested in hearing what
you find out.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Darrell Henze

The shipping turned out to be pretty reasonable.
The nice person on the phone quoted me the crating and shipping charges for
4 sheets of the 3/4" and 4 sheets of the 1/2". The total shiiping costs were
$260.31 and she said it would be about $50 cheaper if it was delviered to a
commercial address.

So now .... Does any one know about quality? I may order a smaller piece as
a sample before I jump in with a big order. Looking at my project (wall of
office builtins) I am going to need more sheets than I guessed when I got
the quote.
-D

"Leon" wrote in message
om...

"dustybasemt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has Anyone ordered plywood from a company called Panoply
(http://www.panoplycorp.com/)? I am interested in their cherry ply
which has a good price ($79 for a 4x8x3/4 sheet) but I am curious about
quality and shipping costs. I am going to call them about the shipping
but if anyone has gotten some product and could comment on quality and
service I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks in advance.
-D

Shipping would most like be by common carrier freight and probably the
same price for 10+ sheets as 1. Typically there is a minimum charge for
freight and it is probably more than the cost of 1 sheet of plywood. You
might wont to consider "loading up". I would however, be interested in
hearing what you find out.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal

"Darrell Henze" writes:
The shipping turned out to be pretty reasonable.
The nice person on the phone quoted me the crating and shipping charges for
4 sheets of the 3/4" and 4 sheets of the 1/2". The total shiiping costs were
$260.31 and she said it would be about $50 cheaper if it was delviered to a
commercial address.

So now .... Does any one know about quality? I may order a smaller piece as
a sample before I jump in with a big order. Looking at my project (wall of
office builtins) I am going to need more sheets than I guessed when I got
the quote.

I suspect this is Chinese plywood; they send the cherry logs over,
laminate them, then send the finished plywood back. I picked up 10
sheets for $66 ea. (4x8x3/4) in the SF bay area last month. Plainsawn
veeners, the ply looks good with no voids so far.

Your shipping is about $32 per sheet; which brings your final
cost to just over $100 a sheet. You should be able to find
it locally for close to that price, unless you're in the middle of nowhere.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Darrell Henze" wrote in message
news
The shipping turned out to be pretty reasonable.
The nice person on the phone quoted me the crating and shipping charges
for 4 sheets of the 3/4" and 4 sheets of the 1/2". The total shiiping
costs were $260.31 and she said it would be about $50 cheaper if it was
delviered to a commercial address.

So 4 sheets of 1/2" Cherry plywood would be about $576.00 delivered? I
wonder what 10 sheets would cost. I would be willing to bet that the
shipping would be about the same.

So now .... Does any one know about quality? I may order a smaller piece
as a sample before I jump in with a big order. Looking at my project (wall
of office builtins) I am going to need more sheets than I guessed when I
got the quote.
-D

"Leon" wrote in message
om...

"dustybasemt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has Anyone ordered plywood from a company called Panoply
(http://www.panoplycorp.com/)? I am interested in their cherry ply
which has a good price ($79 for a 4x8x3/4 sheet) but I am curious about
quality and shipping costs. I am going to call them about the shipping
but if anyone has gotten some product and could comment on quality and
service I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks in advance.
-D

Shipping would most like be by common carrier freight and probably the
same price for 10+ sheets as 1. Typically there is a minimum charge for
freight and it is probably more than the cost of 1 sheet of plywood. You
might wont to consider "loading up". I would however, be interested in
hearing what you find out.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
m...

Your shipping is about $32 per sheet; which brings your final
cost to just over $100 a sheet. You should be able to find
it locally for close to that price, unless you're in the middle of
nowhere.

scott

I am thinking his shipping cost is $65 per sheet since he is only buying 4
sheets.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Javier Henderson

Scott Lurndal wrote:
"Darrell Henze" writes:
The shipping turned out to be pretty reasonable.
The nice person on the phone quoted me the crating and shipping charges for
4 sheets of the 3/4" and 4 sheets of the 1/2". The total shiiping costs were
$260.31 and she said it would be about $50 cheaper if it was delviered to a
commercial address.

So now .... Does any one know about quality? I may order a smaller piece as
a sample before I jump in with a big order. Looking at my project (wall of
office builtins) I am going to need more sheets than I guessed when I got
the quote.

I suspect this is Chinese plywood; they send the cherry logs over,
laminate them, then send the finished plywood back.

Panoply's website suggests they make the plywood themselves, in
Lexington, TN?

-jav
Posted to rec.woodworking
Javier Henderson

Leon wrote:
"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
m...
Your shipping is about $32 per sheet; which brings your final
cost to just over $100 a sheet. You should be able to find
it locally for close to that price, unless you're in the middle of
nowhere.

scott

I am thinking his shipping cost is $65 per sheet since he is only buying 4
sheets.

He's buying 8 sheets:

The nice person on the phone quoted me the crating and shipping
charges for 4 sheets of the 3/4" and 4 sheets of the 1/2".

-jav
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Leon" wrote in message
om...

I am thinking his shipping cost is $65 per sheet since he is only buying 4
sheets.

Sorry Scott, for my previous post. Javier pointed out the fact that 8
sheets are being purchased instead of 4 sheets. I totally agree with you.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

Where are you located vs where is the plywood located ???

$79 a sheet sounds good but shipping could eat your lunch.

Cherry plywood is not that hard to come by.

dustybasemt wrote:

Has Anyone ordered plywood from a company called Panoply
(http://www.panoplycorp.com/)? I am interested in their cherry ply
which has a good price ($79 for a 4x8x3/4 sheet) but I am curious about
quality and shipping costs. I am going to call them about the shipping
but if anyone has gotten some product and could comment on quality and
service I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks in advance.
-D

Posted to rec.woodworking
dustybasemt

All,
Thanks for the input. To clear up the math .... the quote I got was for
a total of 8 sheets (4 sheets of 1/2" and 4 sheets of 3/4") If you
count in the cost of the wood (4@ $69 and 4@$79 = $592 ) I get a total
delivered cost of $852.31. So about $106 a sheet average delivered from
TN to the philadelphia area. I agree that if I order more the shipping
costs/sheet should go down.
I am comparing this to a quote of $123/sheet of 1/2" and $143/sheet of
3/4" cherry for a local lumber place delivered. Maybe I should shop
around more locally to what what better deals I can find.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a cherry ply source in the Philly
area? I'd need it delivered since I don't have a vehicle large enough
to pick it up. Although I suppose I could harrass a friend with a
vehicle or rent a vehicle if the price was rght.
Thanks in advance.
-D

Posted to rec.woodworking
Art Greenberg

On 28 Jan 2006 17:34:09 -0800, dustybasemt wrote:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cherry ply source in the Philly
area? I'd need it delivered since I don't have a vehicle large enough to
pick it up. Although I suppose I could harrass a friend with a vehicle or
rent a vehicle if the price was rght.

Industrial Plywood in Reading. They *may* deliver, you'll have to call to find
out. BTW, its worth the trip to visit them. It's a plywood/sheet goods candy
store.

http://www.industrialplywood.com

You're the second person I've suggested this outfit to in just a few days.
I have no connection whatsoever with the company. Just a happy customer.

--
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob Mitchell

I am comparing this to a quote of $123/sheet of 1/2" and $143/sheet of
3/4" cherry for a local lumber place delivered. Maybe I should shop
around more locally to what what better deals I can find.

That seems very expensive. I just bought some 1/4" cherry ply here in
Toronto for about $70CDN/sheet, or about $60USD. 1/2" wasn't much more.
Rob
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Rob Mitchell" wrote in message
. ..

I am comparing this to a quote of $123/sheet of 1/2" and $143/sheet of
3/4" cherry for a local lumber place delivered. Maybe I should shop
around more locally to what what better deals I can find.

That seems very expensive. I just bought some 1/4" cherry ply here in
Toronto for about $70CDN/sheet, or about $60USD. 1/2" wasn't much more.
Rob

But not delivered hundreds of miles.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dustybasemt

Art,
Thanks for the recommendation. I saw your other post after I posted my
last note... The industrial plywood site has quite an impressive list
of items. I am thinking of making the trip up. I actually live NW of
Philly so Reading isn't all that far. The problem is that they have
discontinued their Saturday hours. (at least that's what the website
says). I wonder if they will be open President's day which I have off.
In any case, I'll have to call, check their prices and see if they
will deliver down my way.

Thanks to all and if anyone actually gets some ply from Panoply let us
all know about the quality!
-D

Survey: A Little Feedback For Cliff BottleBob Metalworking 165 May 24th 05 09:32 PM
Try this Gunner Cliff Metalworking 417 April 26th 05 08:30 PM
OT - Delay, Delay Cliff Metalworking 127 April 21st 05 09:06 AM