Posted to rec.woodworking
TinWoodsmn

Default (Possibly OT) Help in Dallas area

At last summer's wood show in Las Vegas, SWMBO had occasion to visit the
complementary Design Showcase, where she ordered a table and 4 chairs from a
South American manufacturer. The furniture has arrived in Dallas where the
receiver is awaiting our instructions to reship to us in northern
California. The shipment weighs under 200 lbs, but the transporters the
receiver uses charges for 1,000 lb minimum loads with prices approximating
$1.00/lb. We have contacted some pack and ship people in the Dallas area,
but their prices are only slightly better.

We are open to suggestions regarding choosing a company or method to ship
our furniture. Hopefully we won't have to pay the amounts we have already
encountered which are more than we paid for the furniture.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

TW

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce T

Generally speaking, you can arrange to have your stuff shipped to a local
freight terminal as part of a "full load". Costs are SUBSTANTIALLY less
this way. You can go to the terminal & pick the stuff up yourself.

BruceT

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 21:18:20 -0500, "Bruce T"
wrote:

Generally speaking, you can arrange to have your stuff shipped to a local
freight terminal as part of a "full load". Costs are SUBSTANTIALLY less
this way. You can go to the terminal & pick the stuff up yourself.

BruceT

How does one go about requesting this? That sounds like a winner and
something to file away for future reference.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce T

wrote:

Generally speaking, you can arrange to have your stuff shipped to a local
freight terminal as part of a "full load". Costs are SUBSTANTIALLY less
this way. You can go to the terminal & pick the stuff up yourself.

BruceT

How does one go about requesting this? That sounds like a winner and
something to file away for future reference.

Any reputable shipper/freight operator should offer this option. I have had
a number of items shipped to me using this technique. The downside is that
you have to wait for a full load to your local terminal to be put together
at the shipping terminal. This means you may have to wait a while, and of
course the longer the item sits in the terminal, the greater the likelyhood
of damage, etc. While I'm no expert on the trucking industry, it has always
seemd to me that this is pretty much Standard Procedure for shipping by
truck.

"TinWoodsmn" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Vidkid26

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

The shipment weighs under 200 lbs, but the
transporters the receiver uses charges for 1,000 lb minimum loads with
prices approximating $1.00/lb. We have contacted some pack and ship
people in the Dallas area, but their prices are only slightly better.

We are open to suggestions regarding choosing a company or method to ship
our furniture. Hopefully we won't have to pay the amounts we have already
encountered which are more than we paid for the furniture.

You need to know the weight, the dimensions of the shipping containers, how
it is packed.

Then you can call a couple of carriers or try www.freightquotes.com
Weight is only one factor. Shipments are put into classifications that take
volume, or the space taken up on the truck, into consideration. 200 pounds
of furniture will cost more to ship than 200 pounds of steel coils, copper
wire, or aluminum tooling.

If the chairs are individually packed in cartons, it may be able to go UPS
or FedEx ground. Weight will not be a problem, but size can be for these
guys.

If it goes by truck, a WAG will be well over $500 for that distance.

Any good Ideas for area under stairs? HMFIC-1369 Woodworking 0 October 15th 05 07:40 AM
Dallas Area Shops Rob Woodturning 1 September 14th 05 04:43 PM
getting pex for staple-up radiant to heating area [email protected] Home Repair 17 September 1st 05 07:35 AM
Typical/average floor area to ground area ration for a house? [email protected] UK diy 6 September 22nd 04 03:29 PM
need a tile/shower man in Dallas area Home Repair 2 November 16th 03 01:47 PM