Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

Default (Possibly OT) Help in Dallas area

The shipment weighs under 200 lbs, but the
transporters the receiver uses charges for 1,000 lb minimum loads with
prices approximating $1.00/lb. We have contacted some pack and ship
people in the Dallas area, but their prices are only slightly better.

We are open to suggestions regarding choosing a company or method to ship
our furniture. Hopefully we won't have to pay the amounts we have already
encountered which are more than we paid for the furniture.

You need to know the weight, the dimensions of the shipping containers, how
it is packed.

Then you can call a couple of carriers or try www.freightquotes.com
Weight is only one factor. Shipments are put into classifications that take
volume, or the space taken up on the truck, into consideration. 200 pounds
of furniture will cost more to ship than 200 pounds of steel coils, copper
wire, or aluminum tooling.

If the chairs are individually packed in cartons, it may be able to go UPS
or FedEx ground. Weight will not be a problem, but size can be for these
guys.

If it goes by truck, a WAG will be well over $500 for that distance.