Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hitachi drill press any good?

The last time I was at Lowe's they had a floor model Hitachi 15" drill
press for, I think, $199. Anyone know if this is a good machine?

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote in message
oups.com...
The last time I was at Lowe's they had a floor model Hitachi 15" drill
press for, I think, $199. Anyone know if this is a good machine?

Mike

If it looks like a tennis shoe, it is probably too early to tell if it is a
good machine.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Haar

On 2006/1/21 12:27 PM, "Leon" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
The last time I was at Lowe's they had a floor model Hitachi 15" drill
press for, I think, $199. Anyone know if this is a good machine?

I have had one for about six months and is OK, but nothing special. The
laser guide is not very useful.

Make sure you get all the accessories and manuals. This often get lost on
floor models.

If it looks like a tennis shoe, it is probably too early to tell if it is a
good machine.

Sorry - you lost me with this comment.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Robert Haar" wrote in message

Sorry - you lost me with this comment.

Most all of the new model Hitachi tools look like the latest design in
tennis shoes. The older models look "normal." If it is looks like a
tennis shoe it is a new model and is not old enough to have a good track
record yet.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Hall

Recently bought a "floor model" 12" Hitachi Band Saw from Lowe's. Manual
and miter gage were missing. Retail $269.00, bought for $150.00. Downloaded
the manual from Hitachi site, bought a much better miter gage. Pleased as
can be with the saw and the price :)
Bill
wrote in message
oups.com...
The last time I was at Lowe's they had a floor model Hitachi 15" drill
press for, I think, $199. Anyone know if this is a good machine?

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

to have a good track
record yet.

.... that would be a running shoe then..
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 21:32:11 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

Most all of the new model Hitachi tools look like the latest design in
tennis shoes.

The black and green stripey stuff ?
I think you mean "Buck Roger's tennis shoes" !

They've lost at least one sale (mine) owing to that finish. I'm damned
if I'm buying a tool that looks _that_ stupid. I'd rather paint it
JOAT-yellow.