John

Default Hitachi 15" Drill Press

I'm in the market for an inexpensive floor model drill press and have
narrowed my selection down to the Grizzly G7944 (ready some good things
about it here in the Wreck) and the Ridgid DP1550 (good review in FWW). I
was wondering if anyone has any comments on the Hitachi B16RM sold at Lowes?

Thanks for any input.

--
John

Jay Pique

Anyone out there ever cut wood with one of these?

JP
**************************************
Except for the fukup with the power washer.
Roger Shoaf

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
Anyone out there ever cut wood with one of these?

Sure wood can be cut with a water jet. So can stone, stainless, etc.

The problem comes in when you need to buy the machine, it makes the scroll
saw a lot more attractive.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Patriarch

Jay Pique wrote in
:

Anyone out there ever cut wood with one of these?

JP

So, Jay, help me understand. After spending several years air-drying
hardwood, why would you want to use a water jet cutter?

Patriarch

Roger Shoaf

"Patriarch" wrote in message
Jay Pique wrote in
:

Anyone out there ever cut wood with one of these?

JP

So, Jay, help me understand. After spending several years air-drying
hardwood, why would you want to use a water jet cutter?

Patriarch

Because you can make intricate cuts exactly where you want them with a kerf
finer than any blade could produce without regard to gnarly grain or knots.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Leon

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

So, Jay, help me understand. After spending several years air-drying
hardwood, why would you want to use a water jet cutter?

Patriarch

Because you can make intricate cuts exactly where you want them with a
kerf
finer than any blade could produce without regard to gnarly grain or
knots.

I think you missed his point. Using water on dried wood tends to make it
absorb water and swell. When it eventually dries out the cut will not be as
nice looking.

John T

Maybe wood is somehow different, but all the waterjet cuts I've seen in
thicker materials (over 3/4 or 1") start showing a wider, rougher kerf
at the bottom.

Jay Pique

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:19:38 GMT, Patriarch
wrote:

Jay Pique wrote in
:

Anyone out there ever cut wood with one of these?

JP

So, Jay, help me understand. After spending several years air-drying
hardwood, why would you want to use a water jet cutter?

I'm not sure I would, I'm just looking for information. Right now I
haven't any plans or resources to purchase a water jet, but a couple
of attributes make it sound appealing.

It's dust free, doesn't require sharpening and makes very
narrow-kerfed cuts. Of course there are numerous disadvantages as
well - like initial cost, quality of cut (maybe), cost of abrasive
additives, filtration of water, etc....

Are they noisy? Can you straight line rip on them? Are they better
than SawStop?!

JP
Steve Knight

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 02:11:02 -0500, Jay Pique wrote:

Anyone out there ever cut wood with one of these?

not sure if you would want too as the water and grit may screw up the wood or
your finish. if it is thin it can be laser cut.
I got my sign cut with a water jet it is pretty cool.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

CW

That is a function of how thick, how hard the material, how competent the
operator and how much pressure your machine has.

"John T" wrote in message
Maybe wood is somehow different, but all the waterjet cuts I've seen in
thicker materials (over 3/4 or 1") start showing a wider, rougher kerf
at the bottom.

CW

The shop I am working in now has a water jet. Any place I had been before,
we sent that work out so I only know this one machine. Yes, it is LOUD. The
operator wears earplugs. I am often on the lathe about ten feet away. I
don't need earplugs but I can't hear my machine. Annoying.

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
I'm not sure I would, I'm just looking for information. Right now I
haven't any plans or resources to purchase a water jet, but a couple
of attributes make it sound appealing.

It's dust free, doesn't require sharpening and makes very
narrow-kerfed cuts. Of course there are numerous disadvantages as
well - like initial cost, quality of cut (maybe), cost of abrasive
additives, filtration of water, etc....

Are they noisy? Can you straight line rip on them? Are they better
than SawStop?!

JP

Charles Spitzer

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:19:38 GMT, Patriarch
wrote:

Jay Pique wrote in
m:

yes. http://www.precisionhydrojet.com/portfolio.html

So, Jay, help me understand. After spending several years air-drying
hardwood, why would you want to use a water jet cutter?

I'm not sure I would, I'm just looking for information. Right now I
haven't any plans or resources to purchase a water jet, but a couple
of attributes make it sound appealing.

It's dust free, doesn't require sharpening and makes very
narrow-kerfed cuts. Of course there are numerous disadvantages as
well - like initial cost, quality of cut (maybe), cost of abrasive
additives, filtration of water, etc....

Are they noisy? Can you straight line rip on them? Are they better
than SawStop?!

they are VERY loud. yes you can rip on them. you cannot attach a sawstop(tm)
to them as they have no physical connection to a blade so there would be
nothing to sense.

and the starting price on them is around $250k.

JP

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Buying a Drill Press Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 31 July 11th 04 05:05 PM
Bench Top Drill Press That Can Swing Drill Head Jay Chan Woodworking 8 April 4th 04 10:17 PM
Upside down drill press story Backlash Metalworking 4 January 31st 04 04:13 PM
Drill Press mod Phil Metalworking 10 December 29th 03 04:23 AM
SIP drill press review/comments invited Carlton Metalworking 2 October 1st 03 01:31 PM