Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Default An electric gouge?

and I thought motorcycle air bags were freaky.

Saw someone on TV using a vibrating gouge.

oh well, I still have my Snap On vibrating (air powered) gasket
scraper...it was a real time saver for removing manifold and water
timing chain cover gaskets. I guess it all makes sense...

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Jane & David

In article ,
David wrote:

and I thought motorcycle air bags were freaky.

Saw someone on TV using a vibrating gouge.

oh well, I still have my Snap On vibrating (air powered) gasket
scraper...it was a real time saver for removing manifold and water
timing chain cover gaskets. I guess it all makes sense...

Dave

I've done some carving with an Automach - is that similar to what you
saw? The well-made Automach is fast and easy to use, but it makes a
really irritating noise. Carving is such calming and peaceful work with
normal hand tools that it's a shame to F it up with a noisy machine -
but it sure makes it easy to get the job done.

PDX David
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Jane & David wrote:

In article ,
David wrote:

and I thought motorcycle air bags were freaky.

Saw someone on TV using a vibrating gouge.

oh well, I still have my Snap On vibrating (air powered) gasket
scraper...it was a real time saver for removing manifold and water
timing chain cover gaskets. I guess it all makes sense...

Dave

I've done some carving with an Automach - is that similar to what you
saw? The well-made Automach is fast and easy to use, but it makes a
really irritating noise. Carving is such calming and peaceful work with
normal hand tools that it's a shame to F it up with a noisy machine -
but it sure makes it easy to get the job done.

PDX David

I looked at that one online since you provided a name for it, but I'm
not really sure, as the TV program didn't linger on the tool more than a
second or two. I think it might have been the DIY show about banjo
making. I put it on the DVR but deleted it already so I can't go back to
watch it (unless I DVR'd it on our second unit also...)

BTW, I just caught up to modern times--I got a Comcast DVR box last week
and liked it so much I picked up a second one days later. Very cool,
especially for shows like DM's Woodworks.

I see Woodcraft sells it too.

I Googled and came up with a Flexcut unit -
http://www.chippingaway.com/WoodCarv...owerCarver.htm

$550 US.

dave