Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Kevin L. Mentioned that there is a problem with Pines dying in Southern KY

Does anyone know anything about the problem? I saw a news story back
closer to Christmas about the Dept. of Forrestry mass cutting trees in
southern Indiana to slow the spread down.

Tom in KY, Seriously.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lyndell Thompson

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know anything about the problem? I saw a news story back
closer to Christmas about the Dept. of Forrestry mass cutting trees in
southern Indiana to slow the spread down.

Tom in KY, Seriously.

Tom, I live in southern In across river from louisville. Have not heard
anything officially about problem, but me and everybody around me is losing
them left and right. I don't know how a person could use them for
woodworking though. They die from the top down and awful nasty sap seeps out
all over the tree. I could barely stand to burn them in the shop woodstove.
Wouldn't even want to think about trying to get a piece of that stuff across
a tablesaw. If a person were to try.........johnson's pastewax would be in
order. :-)
Lyndell

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lyndell Thompson wrote:

Tom, I live in southern In across river from louisville.

I was in that area last year some. Greenville and Jeffersonville.

me and everybody around me is losing
them left and right. I don't know how a person could use them for
woodworking though. They die from the top down and awful nasty sap seeps out
all over the tree. I could barely stand to burn them in the shop woodstove.
Wouldn't even want to think about trying to get a piece of that stuff across
a tablesaw. If a person were to try.........johnson's pastewax would be in
order. :-)

Silk worms killed millions of trees in Ky about 20(?) years ago. Those
trees were mostly ornamental trees, Redbuds, Dogwoods, Bradford Pears,
Fountain Cherries come to mind.
Those trees weren't much force, but it was still a big deal to property
owners with small trees. We sprayed and pulled down spooling nests as
fast as we could. We managed to save all of our trees. I believe that
several bigger trees out in the wild woods around the state were killed
by the worms though.

When worms or beetles are involved though, the wood is usually ruined.
I saw a topic recently about someone asking if they brought infested
wood into the house, would the bugs eat his house? I'd almost be afraid
to chance it myself.

Tom in KY, don't want no stinking mess on my tablesaw either.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Chuck Taylor
wrote:

In the Southeast in the past few years, I've heard about several pine
beetle infestations. Lots of trees, healthy or not, were felled to
contain the spread when the pest was detected. I can only speculate
what's going on in Indiana--I simply don't know--but beetles would be
my guess.

Beetle problem in the boreal forests of Canada, too. In recreation
areas there's tremendous pressure to spray even though it will be
sueless in the long term and the forest service wants to let the
infestations run their course and in remote areas use controlled burns.

Nature doesn't care about wooddorkers...

--
Any government will work if authority and responsibility are equal and
coordinate. This does not insure "good" government; it simply insures that it

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:41:58 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , Chuck Taylor
wrote:

In the Southeast in the past few years, I've heard about several pine
beetle infestations. Lots of trees, healthy or not, were felled to
contain the spread when the pest was detected. I can only speculate
what's going on in Indiana--I simply don't know--but beetles would be
my guess.

Beetle problem in the boreal forests of Canada, too. In recreation
areas there's tremendous pressure to spray even though it will be
sueless in the long term and the forest service wants to let the
infestations run their course and in remote areas use controlled burns.

Nature doesn't care about wooddorkers...

... or maybe it's nature's way of saying, "here's a forest for you to
use. If you don't use it, I'll get rid of it some other way"

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

maybe it's nature's way of saying, "here's a forest for you to
use. If you don't use it, I'll get rid of it some other way"

Ah, Clever, but, the forrests here are in kind of a perpetual replenish
mode. Meaning most of the trees are too small to cut right now. The
trees that are being harvested now are much smaller than the trees that
were harvested just 10 years ago. The cut cycle is getting shorter and
the growth time is getting shorter. Then there are the developers and
the farmers clearing land continuously. Coal mines wrecked the land
here years ago, now that the mines are under control, now there's a
house, a mobile home or a farm field going up everywhere there's a
forrest (was a forrest). The only place in KY that is protected is the
state parks. They are releasing smaller trees to keep up with demand. A
blight or an infestation of beetles could be a real serious problem.

Tom in KY, and nature said "here's a forrest for you to use. take care
of it or you'll lose it.

Not a member of the Sierra Club. Trees are wood, not just hiking
scenery.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know anything about the problem? I saw a news story back
closer to Christmas about the Dept. of Forrestry mass cutting trees in
southern Indiana to slow the spread down.

Spruce budworm? I presume everyone else searched and failed. We're overdue
here in MI for a budworm infestation, and it's going to create some openings
in the woods, that's for sure. With pines blister rusts are pretty common,
too.

The white birch appear to have recovered fairly well, when a dozen years ago
most figured the disease would get them all. Yellow birch, especially the
overmature trees, have some viral disease now.

We can't allow things to run their course in the woods. Used to be
infection produced tinder which obligingly burned and sterilized the area,
the clearings providing isolation when they became too big for infection to
cross. Sort of a reverse quarantine.

Trouble is, nature takes a long-term management approach, and human life
spans are short.

Sometimes you can get a great look into natural control, though. The tent
caterpillars became more and more abundant over about a five-year period
here, resulting in some serious defoliation. In response to the large
numbers of caterpillars on the menu, a huge gray fly became extremely
abundant. Swarms of them were everywhere. Then both crashed below the
normal search threshold in a single year.