Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Default OT - Now MY Truck Died Too

Went out the other day, wouldn't crank. Radio, fan, lights, etc.,
worked fine. Starter solenoid wouldn't even click. So, last night got
the younger son to take me to town, to check the mail, and all. He
absolutely hates that. LOL

Today got under it, and jumped the solenoid, to see if that was it.
Starter would spin, but wouldn't engage. WTF? Tried several times,
just to double-check. Same same. The book doesn't cover that.

So, tonight when the younger kid came in, asked him to take me to
town again. Instead, he asked for the truck keys. So, handed them
over, and told him what had happened when I checked today.

About 5-10 minutes later, he came back in, and I could hear the
truck nunning. Had to ask him what he'd done, he doesn't volunteer much
of anything. Turned out the start interlock safety wire had
disconnected. That was it. I figure it must have been hanging down and
I hit it with my foot, while braking, disconnecting it, on my last trip
home. A large relieve I don't have to toss any money at it. Heck, it's
almost new, a '79 GMC, barely getting broken in, runs like a top. Yes,
I did write "seventy nine",

At times like this, the kid comes in handy. Life is basically
good.

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear".
What do you "know"?
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 20:38:30 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

[ top posted for your convenience]

I was going to email you the solution to the problem, but...

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

LRod wrote:

I was going to email you the solution to the problem, but...

Truly the funniest damn thing I've read all week. I don't normally
write things like "LOL", etc... but for the above crack you get a
hearty LMAO!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

And if you ask me, it is faster and more convenient for all. If you want
all the story, look for it under my post.

"Joe Barta" wrote in message
.. .
LRod wrote:

I was going to email you the solution to the problem, but...

Truly the funniest damn thing I've read all week. I don't normally
write things like "LOL", etc... but for the above crack you get a
hearty LMAO!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Gorman

wrote:

Went out the other day, wouldn't crank.

I bought a new Honda Civic to take over the commuting chores of the
1987 F-150.

I drive sixty miles a day plus the weekend load.

I figure, when I average the repair cost over the last three years,
and the difference in gas consumption, this little thing costs me
$94.00 a month, which ain't bad.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Did you get the hybrid or conventional. I'm getting near the estimated
48mpg with mine if I drive conservatively and use the regenerative
braking as much as possible. It's interesting how many people think
they can get you to go faster than 55 in the slow lane if they pull up
until you can't see their headlights.
Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"J T" wrote in message

disconnected. That was it. I figure it must have been hanging down and
I hit it with my foot,

It's them damn shoes again!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robin Lee

"J T" wrote in message

[...]

Darn - does this mean you won't be writin' a country song now???

Cheers -

Rob

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Stuyck

Anyone know how to get spewed coffee out of a keyboard?

wrote:

[ top posted for your convenience]

I was going to email you the solution to the problem, but...

Anyone know how to get spewed coffee out of a keyboard?
[That's the "belt and suspenders" approach.]

Jim Stuyck

Posted to rec.woodworking
noonenparticular

It's interesting how many people think
they can get you to go faster than 55 in the slow lane if they pull up
until you can't see their headlights.
Joe

Funny, that usually has the effect of making me slow down.....

And gets their faces the most interesting shade of red too... Fun is where
you find it.

Also Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking
Warren Weber

Top posted for your convenice I get 62 miles per gallon on my Ford
truck, I only drive it downhill. (

"J T" wrote in message
Thu, Jan 5, 2006, 11:22pm (Tom Watson) shames us
with his admission:
I bought a new Honda Civic to take over the commuting chores of the 1987
F-150.
I drive sixty miles a day plus the weekend load.
I figure, when I average the repair cost over the last three years, and
the difference in gas consumption, this little thing costs me $94.00 a
month, which ain't bad.

My truck cost me $1200 in 2001. I've spend about $250 on tires,
and probably another $75 on parts. Granted I only put an average of
around 10-15 miles a day on it, but it is infinitely classier than a
Civic.

For a number of years, I drover almost 200 miles a day. Vehicle?
I alternated between 2 VW Beetles. I could get around 35 MPG, and
around 38, if I pushed it, with one. With the other I got around 32
MPG, and if I pushed that one, it could drop as low as 15 MPG - that one
was warmed over, with a progressive 2-barrel carb - and loads of fun.
They had class - little kids absolutely love VW Beetles.

So, regardless of your total disregard of your loss of class, and
new social status, I am forwarding thses links, to assist you and your
new ride.
http://pimprides.messedup.net/you_might_be_a_ricer.html
http://www.riceboypage.com/

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear".
What do you "know"?
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lenny

wrote:

Went out the other day, wouldn't crank.

I bought a new Honda Civic to take over the commuting chores of the
1987 F-150.

I drive sixty miles a day plus the weekend load.

I figure, when I average the repair cost over the last three years,
and the difference in gas consumption, this little thing costs me
$94.00 a month, which ain't bad.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Still running my 1987- F-150. Still doesn't use any oil but at the
price of gas today I have been thinking it might be time for a change.
Those small truck sure are small though.

Glad it worked out for you JT

Lenny
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 07:44:38 -0500, Joe Gorman wrote:

.... snip
braking as much as possible. It's interesting how many people think
they can get you to go faster than 55 in the slow lane if they pull up
until you can't see their headlights.

... as long as you are in the slow lane. :-)

Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking
nospambob

A neighbor was in next lane when a young hot rod enthusiast RUSHED up[
behind us and BOTH of us slowed down to about half the speed limit.
Half a block later he was allowed to pass and did so at a decent
speed, surprisingly.

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 19:26:42 GMT, "noonenparticular"
wrote:

It's interesting how many people think
they can get you to go faster than 55 in the slow lane if they pull up
until you can't see their headlights.
Joe

Funny, that usually has the effect of making me slow down.....

And gets their faces the most interesting shade of red too... Fun is where
you find it.

Also Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"nospambob" wrote in message
A neighbor was in next lane when a young hot rod enthusiast RUSHED up[
behind us and BOTH of us slowed down to about half the speed limit.

Dumb.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

wrote:

Did you get the hybrid or conventional. I'm getting near the estimated
48mpg with mine if I drive conservatively and use the regenerative
braking as much as possible. It's interesting how many people think
they can get you to go faster than 55 in the slow lane if they pull up
until you can't see their headlights.
Joe

I bought the conventional model. I just wasn't convinced of the long
term reliability of the newer technology.

"You can always tell the pioneers - they're the ones with the arrows
in their backs."

Tom Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 13:46:03 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

So, regardless of your total disregard of your loss of class, and
new social status, I am forwarding thses links, to assist you and your
new ride.
http://pimprides.messedup.net/you_might_be_a_ricer.html
http://www.riceboypage.com/

"We are not Hillbillies. We prefer the term - Appalachian-Americans."

I could email you a copy of the current Motor Trend...

(heee...)

Tom Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking
Sam

Joe Gorman wrote:
It's interesting how many people think
they can get you to go faster than 55 in the slow lane if they pull up
until you can't see their headlights.
Joe

It doesn't make much sense in the slow lane, but it does work to snap a
lot of people out of their stupor when they are going too slow in the
fast lane. I find it works best when you are a little to the left so
they can see you in their side mirror. Sam

Posted to rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

"Sam" wrote in message
ups.com...

Joe Gorman wrote:
It's interesting how many people think
they can get you to go faster than 55 in the slow lane if they pull up
until you can't see their headlights.
Joe

It doesn't make much sense in the slow lane, but it does work to snap a
lot of people out of their stupor when they are going too slow in the
fast lane. I find it works best when you are a little to the left so
they can see you in their side mirror. Sam

The only problem with that is that most of the idjits who travel too slow in
the fast lane are too dern ignorant to look in their rear view mirror!
During my years as an OTR driver, I tried VERY HARD not to tailgate, but
sometimes your could literally spend hours in the fast lane waiting for some
yoyo to get the idea and move over.

--
Nahmie
Stupidity is not considered a handicap, park elsewhere.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill

I agree, it's possible that someone might, I say MIGHT, be rushing somewhere
like a hospital or such and you and your neighbor could have caused the
death of someone by blocking a public road. Sometimes the difference
between life and death is a few minutes....

Bill

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"nospambob" wrote in message
A neighbor was in next lane when a young hot rod enthusiast RUSHED up[
behind us and BOTH of us slowed down to about half the speed limit.

Dumb.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

Bill wrote:
I agree, it's possible that someone might, I say MIGHT, be rushing somewhere
like a hospital or such and you and your neighbor could have caused the
death of someone by blocking a public road. Sometimes the difference
between life and death is a few minutes....

I actually saw what was probably one of those cases last week.

While driving along @ 6:30 AM, a Jeep Grand Cherokee came whizzing by me
on a two lane, 35 MPH road. I was waiting to turn onto the same road
from a side street. I was initially ****ed, but as he disappeared into
the distance, I realized he had his flashers on and was headed in the
general direction of our local hospital.

We have a paid fire department, so he wouldn't have been a volunteer
fireman.

Illness, baby on the way, or late for work moron, I'll never know. In
hindsight, I'm betting on either of the first two.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George Shouse

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 08:49:30 -0800, nospambob
wrote:

A neighbor was in next lane when a young hot rod enthusiast RUSHED up[
behind us and BOTH of us slowed down to about half the speed limit.
Half a block later he was allowed to pass and did so at a decent
speed, surprisingly.

Hmm, you and your neighbor's act of blocking the car seems
ill-advised and dangerous. Unless, maybe, you knew the young
person. Even then probably a bad idea.