Posted to rec.woodworking
Dick Snyder

Default Cutting pressure treated 4x4's

Happy New Year all!

I need to cut 3 pressure treated 4x4's into 36" lenghs for a small project I
am doing. Will the 4x4's do any special damage to my saw blades (I was going
to use my 10" sliding miter saw) or should I take them outside and use a
chain saw? I know there is arsenic in the pressure treating material so I
will wear a respirator in either case but I'm concerned about dulling my
blade.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Dick Snyder wrote:

Happy New Year all!

I need to cut 3 pressure treated 4x4's into 36" lenghs for a small project I
am doing. Will the 4x4's do any special damage to my saw blades (I was going
to use my 10" sliding miter saw) or should I take them outside and use a
chain saw? I know there is arsenic in the pressure treating material so I
will wear a respirator in either case but I'm concerned about dulling my
blade.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

that's only a few cuts, Dick. plywood and mdf is MUCH worse on your
blades. You cut them, don't you?

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

(Featuring a NEW look)
"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
Happy New Year all!

I need to cut 3 pressure treated 4x4's into 36" lenghs for a small project
I am doing. Will the 4x4's do any special damage to my saw blades (I was
going to use my 10" sliding miter saw) or should I take them outside and
use a chain saw? I know there is arsenic in the pressure treating material

I'm not so sure about the arsenic. It is being highly regulated these days
for use in lumber.

If you bought it recently it probably does not have arsenic in it.

Check out:

http://www.healthybuilding.net/arsen...ewsletter2.htm
http://www.pressure-treated-wood-arsenic.com/

--
Stoutman
http://home.triad.rr.com/brianmeliss...ing_frames.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Houseman

The most important thing about cutting pressure treated lumber that is
fresh is to clean the blade when you are done - the combination of the
chemicals and moisture make quick rust on most blades.

Hard Maple puts more wear on my blades than pressure treated.

If you bought the boards in the last 18 months - there is no arsenic in
them...some copper...but no arsenic.

Make sure if the project is going IN the ground that you use 0.40 and
not the common 0.25 pressure treated.

In article ,
David wrote:

Dick Snyder wrote:

Happy New Year all!

I need to cut 3 pressure treated 4x4's into 36" lenghs for a small project
am doing. Will the 4x4's do any special damage to my saw blades (I was
going
to use my 10" sliding miter saw) or should I take them outside and use a
chain saw? I know there is arsenic in the pressure treating material so I
will wear a respirator in either case but I'm concerned about dulling my
blade.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

that's only a few cuts, Dick. plywood and mdf is MUCH worse on your
blades. You cut them, don't you?

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

NO arsenic in modern/current pressure treated lumber like you can get
at your home center. Now it is a copper based chemical treatment,
VERY corrosive to iron/steel, so although I would NOT avoid using my
table saw/miter saw to cut pressure treated lumber, I would be sure to
clean all sawdust/residue - and probably pull the saw blade and give
it a good bath in blader cleaner or something like SimpleGreen

John

On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 13:10:34 -0500, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:

Happy New Year all!

I need to cut 3 pressure treated 4x4's into 36" lenghs for a small project I
am doing. Will the 4x4's do any special damage to my saw blades (I was going
to use my 10" sliding miter saw) or should I take them outside and use a
chain saw? I know there is arsenic in the pressure treating material so I
will wear a respirator in either case but I'm concerned about dulling my
blade.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Posted to rec.woodworking

If it is the old "green treated" you should be fine.

I cut a piece of scrap after and vacuum the sawdust out of the cabinet.

The newest "treated" stuff seems extremely corrosive. I cut it outside
with a sawz-all . Wipe down the saw and clean the blade in paint
thinner.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

wrote in message
oups.com...
If it is the old "green treated" you should be fine.

I cut a piece of scrap after and vacuum the sawdust out of the cabinet.

The newest "treated" stuff seems extremely corrosive. I cut it outside
with a sawz-all . Wipe down the saw and clean the blade in paint
thinner.

I can't argue with the corrosive nature of the copper compounds they use in
PT these days, but I can say I have never cleaned my blades after cutting
the stuff. I never gave it a thought. I've cut hundreds of board feet of
the newer stuff if not more, with my circular saw and there's no visible
signs of corrosion or other detrimental effect to the blade. Not to suggest
you shouldn't clean your blade... just relaying my experience.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dick Snyder

This stuff is probably 4 years old. Based on all of your guidance. I will
cut it and clean my blade with something (I like Simple Green).

Thanks as usual to the group for all the help.

wrote in message
oups.com...
If it is the old "green treated" you should be fine.

I cut a piece of scrap after and vacuum the sawdust out of the cabinet.

The newest "treated" stuff seems extremely corrosive. I cut it outside
with a sawz-all . Wipe down the saw and clean the blade in paint
thinner.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message

This stuff is probably 4 years old. Based on all of your guidance. I will
cut it and clean my blade with something (I like Simple Green).

If my framing crews stopped to do that, they would never get any work done.
With experience you will most likely find that it's not really necessary,
but if it makes one feel better, a clean blade is not a bad thing.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05